_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
1/32 Revell Mig-29
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:55 AM UTC
Revell's 1/32 Mig-29 is back out on the market. I've never built this kit (I remember it being around in the mid-80s along with the F-15C with ASAT) and I'll probably pick it up as I have some E. German decals I bought for .99 cents that I want to use (I also ordered the CAM cockpit set for it today).
I understand this kit has some issues as far as the shape of the nose and the tail section (though this apparently has been slightly retooled).
My question to you is: Are other modelers out there going to give this kit a shot or are you just going to wait until someone else (read: Trumpeter) comes along with an all new kit?
Any advice from someone who has built this kit?

thanks,

Nate
Wisc., USA
Jeepney
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:05 AM UTC
My build might not count because I built this 8 years ago when putty was unheard of and liquid glue was a rarity. I just slapped it together and left it unpainted. It still looks mighty impressive on the shelf though.

Can't say anything about nose and tail shapes. I can share a few problems about the fit though. The panels that cover the air intakes when the Mig is on the ground are a bear to fit in. The stone guard on the front gear was narrower than the wheel assembly. Some puttying and sanding are needed on some of the big assemblies. The cockpit is nicely detailed. Rivets are nicely done. If I had to build another one of these I would especially with the skills and tips I got from Armorama.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Linz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 181 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 08:47 PM UTC
There is a multi-part build at Roll Models, however only Part One is online. Here is an in-box review of the Revell boxing that may help. Another short article talks about some corrections.

Apparently there are accuracy issues around the exhaust and engine tunnel areas with the single seat example, although it appears that Revell have fixed this with the UB release.

Just for interest, colours for a Russian aircraft are:
- FS36375 light grey
- FS24233 light green (flat)
- dielectric panels and radome: FS26132
- landing gear and wheel wells: FS36375
- wheels: green, no FS equivalent

That's about all there is online that I can scrap together in a few minutes. Ken Duffey wrote an article in Scale Models a number of years back (1992) about building an fixing it, I don't know how'd you would go about finding that.

Cheers,
Linz
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:55 PM UTC
Nate. Try the web site at Large Scale Planes and post your question there. Those folks are as friendly as everyone here and are always willing to help out. I'm sure one of them has built it since its re-release. HTH

http://www.kithobbyist.com/largescaleplanes/
sfilak
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 07:56 AM UTC
There's also a good article on building this kit in the Osprey book: Postwar Jets and Armor. An excellent book, and definitely worth the money, as all of the models are very well done, along with quite a few in-progress photos and construction/finishing tips.
PorkChop
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 26, 2002 - 11:20 AM UTC
Thanks for the links etc.... I knew this would be a hard sell coming in, but it's still the only game in town. I'm not sure if I'm gonna jump in just yet (still have a Mig-21 and A-10 to finish). Maybe something better will come along, who'da thunk we'd be getting 1/32 F-105s?

Thanks again,

NATE
 _GOTOTOP