Desert Heat
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 04:45 PM UTC
Hi All,
Here's one I built while deployed this past winter. No airbrush, so I painted it with enamels and a brush. It sucked. Mailed it home, and let it sit for a month or 2. Threw it in a bag for a couple hours last week with some EasyOff oven cleaner, rinsed it off, and started over. This is what I got with Tamiya and PollyScale acrylics (I need to go shopping!). After painting the rudder yellow, I looked at my pictures of Marsailles' plane and realized it was RLM 79. Too bad, I like it now....!Hope you like it too.
JK

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 27, 2005 - 11:40 PM UTC
Hi James, I always like the planes of Hans Jochim Marsaille. I have a similar Bf 109 in 1/48 scale, what scale is yours? it's looking good
Mal
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 01:58 PM UTC
Hi Mal,

And thanks for the kind words!!
I kinda spaced out and forgot to mention....This is the Eduard 1/144 scale Bf 109F. A sweet little kit, you should try one!!

Cheers
JK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 02:31 PM UTC
1/44? looked good enougth to be 1/72!

Frank
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 03:33 AM UTC
1/144? Holy guacamole! Seriously, that looks wonderful...especially considering the scale! Well done!

And a question for you... how did you protect the canopy? I've heard that easy-off can fog a canopy quickly. Did you remove it? Or am I just crazy and making things up?

-Scott
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 07:37 AM UTC
Hi Scott & Frank,
And thanks! for the encouragement....!I hadn't done the canopy yet at that point. But you're right...EasyOff would most likely ruin clear plastic.The active ingredient is Sodium Hydroxide (LYE). I should mention to everybody, as a safety measure, to WEAR HEAVY RUBBER GLOVES and WORK IN A WELL-VENTILATED SPACE when using this stuff..it's especially nasty!
After I re-did the project, I simply sprayed a corner of clear decal film with RLM 79, then cut very thin strips of it.....dip and water and apply! Presto, canopy frames.
 _GOTOTOP