_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Lease with an option to buy?
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 04:01 AM UTC
Red4's idea for a group build makes me wonder about a GB that I've been pondering...

Would anyone be interested in participating in a GB focused on Lend/Lease aircraft from WWII? That way we can see Mustang's and F4F's in UK colors, or P-40's and P-39's in Soviet colors.

Oh, and Mal...the Soviets operated Spitfire's too...hint-hint.

Fighters weren't the only birds offered under the lend lease program... Bomber's (B-25 comes to mind) and transports such as the C-47 are also options.

And since I'm such a sucker for aircraft in scheme's that are not normally associated with them... maybe we could open the criteria up further to generate interest? Such as captured aircraft (such as a p-47 in...gulp, a Luftwaffe scheme) or maybe even modern a/c. Just as long as they are in a scheme other than what is normally associated with them.

This wouldn't be for a while since there are currently 2 GB's open right now... but maybe later in the year? For now, I'm just testing the waters...

Let me know what you guys think-

scott
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC
Scott,

That's not a bad idea at all! I, too, like to see common aircraft in uncommon schemes. In fact, I've got a couple of decal sets for US Spitfires just waiting for something like this!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 07:13 AM UTC
Nice idea Scott, I don't have a Spifire in Soviet colours so I might be tempted. I do have a problem finishing campaigns though so it will depend what's going on at the time, I currently have 1 campaign, 4 online builds, 30+ other projects and preparing for the first outing of what will become IPMS ArmoramaUK on the go at the moment. So the schedule is a little tight Having said that another Spitfire probably wouldn't hurt because; "you just can't have to many Spitfires". The problem is my next Spitfire has to be a Mk VII, don't blame me, you have to speek to Harri (JetProvest) about that. So my hands are a bit tied?
Mal
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 07:24 AM UTC
Scott

I like the idea of this, like you have said later in the year would be great.

I already have a fun/quick build I did of a Sukhoi Su-33 in Royal Navy markings complete with sidewinders and AMRAAM's.
I built this when the British Mod was making plans for there new carriers and the Su-27 family is one of my favrite modern aircraft.

Ciao
Luciano
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 07:34 AM UTC
Maybe it could be expanded a little. I know this sounds like I am tainting the sky with salt and mud (metaphorically), but what about ground vehicles? DML (?) recently came out with a Soviet-licensed Sherman kit (Shermie has got to finish his goal), 2 1/2 ton trucks, Jeeps, destroyers and other ships for the British, etc. Just a thought. Still like the aircraft only idea though. You could also expand the WWII idea to include modern aircraft. Numerous Third World countries lease modern aircraft from companies such as Lockheed Martin, Sukhoi, MiG, etc.

Jeff
Puma112
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
AeroScale: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 04:28 PM UTC
I love the idea, and it's got axis theme's too, look at all the planes 'given' to Turkey...spits, FW-190's etc. Would like to see it as a fall project.

Tracy
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 05:55 PM UTC
Great! I'm excited by the warm response this idea has recieved...

I think I'll let this simmer until later this summer when we all might have a little more time... but by the looks of it this response it will defiantly happen later this year! WoooHooo!

Jeff- Opening this up to GV's is fine by me...but only if you are sure to model the Russian tank crew's daily 4 oz. ration of Vodka... :-) :-) :-) :-)

Stoli for everyone!!!!

-Scott
DaveMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 137 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 2005 - 03:51 AM UTC
Neat idea. I immediately thought of the french aircraft flown with the axis, and the Condor legion in Spain too. If you go modern, there are a lot of neat subjects from IDF equipment to Soviet Bloc aircraft.

Albatros makes some great decal sheets for these planes. I have their MiG 21 sheets with Fishbeds flying for Mozambique, Congo,India, Bangladesh, Burkina Faso, Rumania, Poland, Vietnam and Laos. THey also make a set for A-37 Dragonflies from El Salvador, peru, South Vietnam, guatemala, Dominican Republic, Honduras, Columbia,Chile, Uruguay and Thailand. THey have similar sheets for Mirages, Hinds and F-104s with dozens of other countrieson them. Linden hill also makes lots of former Soviet color schemes.

The middle East offers a lot of opportunities for this type of modeling too. Iraq and Iran both have equipment from the U.S. and U.S.S.R. in their arsenals. Pakistan is getting a bunch of Falcons.

I might be interested in a campaign like this if it gave me an excuse to buy more oddball decal sets!
 _GOTOTOP