_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Model of the Month, April
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, April 01, 2005 - 07:22 PM UTC
OK, post your entries for MOM April here. Sorry for not starting this yesterday but I've been busy getting the Armorama stand ready for the Doncaster show
Just a reminder, post only a maximum of 3 pictures and give us a few relevent details, see the rules in the sticky at the top of the forum page.
Voting is still open on the MOM for march, it will be closed Sunday evening. If you haven't already voted please take a look.
We are going to change the method of voting so you can award 3 votes for your favourite 3 models. More details later.
Mal
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2005 - 05:11 AM UTC
Hi guys. Here is my entry for April MOM. This is the Tamiya F4U 1-D built as a F4U 1-A. I used the KMC resin detail set for the cockpit, detail was added to the engine using parts from the spares box, beading wire and small bits of stretched sprue. I added brake lines using fine solder and small strips of masking tape for the rubber seals between the gear doors and the bottom of the wing. I added details to the wingfold using photo-etch parts from the spares box, strecthed sprue for the hydrualic lines and a length a clear stretched sprue painted clear red for the hyrualic leak. When this model was completed, my son Justin pointed out to me that the hydraulic leak was curling to much, so I replaced it with a new length of sprue. I used ModelMaster paints and Superscale decals. Thanks for looking,Wingman out.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 02:54 PM UTC
I'll enter this one for April.

It's Hasegawa's 1/48 Ar 234B-2 "Blitz" bomber. I used Verlinden and Eduard detail sets, as well as a Squadron vac canopy and Eagle Strike markings. The cockpit is fully wired and plumbed. I scanned the markings sheet for the camo pattern, enlarged it to scale with Photoshop, and printed it. The shapes were cut and used as templates for the drafting tape masks. The winter camo was oversprayed freehand. The Rato units are a couple different shades of Alcad II metallics. The bomb and sled are resin, from the Verlinden set.

Hope you like it !

I hope the composite pic is alright. There are too many areas of detail to try and show with three pics.
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 09:14 PM UTC
hellowa

My first entry The Brewster Buffalo

Thanks for watching.

Q.

lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 09:17 PM UTC
It's Tamiya's Brewster Buffalo "Pacific theatre" kit.
Build oob. Window masking with masking tape.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 04, 2005 - 11:04 PM UTC
Great stuff guys, I'll be entering mine later today, just taking the pics.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 05:00 AM UTC
OK here's my entry for this month and I know what you will probably think that I'm entering a Ju 87 because Wingmans Ju 87 won last month :-) Well the thought had crossed my mind Any way a few details:
This is Hasegawa's 1/48 Ju 87B-2 finished with Xtracolor and the kit decals, as a B-2 Trop . The Flap and aileron actuators (which are molded as solid triangles) were cut off and replaced with wire. PE seat belts and gun sights were added. The pilots canopy had the notch filed into it to fit around the radio mast and the antenna wire was added from smoke coloured invisable mending thread, with white glue insolators.
EDIT: Forgot to mention, the paint and decals were given a light and random(ish) overspray of Medium Sea Grey, to replicate fading by the sun.
This is one of my models that I finally managed to finish because of finding Armorama

Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 08:05 AM UTC
Wow! Stunning models!

Quoted Text

I hope the composite pic is alright. There are too many areas of detail to try and show with three pics.

Good man! Bill for switching to 3 standard pics. It is frustrating when there are lots of aspects of a model you want to show, but rules are rules... and don't worry! That '234 looks awesome regardless of the number of pics!

Mal - great to see the Ju 87 got back safely from Doncaster... that camouflage is superb!

All the best

Rowan
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 12:55 AM UTC
Here's mine, an Italeri 1/48 Huey, dressed up as a CH-118.

CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 01:28 AM UTC
Here's one for April......
Finemolds 1/72 Messerschmitt Bf 109F-2...This is a very fun kit! Fit is a lot like Hasegawa. Cockpit details are pretty anemic...So I dropped in a True Details resin set (made for Hasegawa), fit nearly perfect. You'll have to cut the back "shelf" off of the kit piece though, and use it. I also stuck in some fine wires to emulate the coolant hoses. Interesting camo scheme decals, but the colors are a bit dark in my opinion....so I air brushed it with Gunze-Sangyo acrylics.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan, yes the journey to and from Doncaster it was a bit fraut. Travelling with 18 models in the car helped me stay within the speed limits
Yes Bill, thanks for switching to a single pic. If this gets as popular as we hope I wouldn't want to become a member of the rules police Now does that mean that if someone neglects to add information to their post they should be outlawed (no names no pack drill )
Mal
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi guys, sorry for the fact i have not been ofn the site for a wihile, was in jersey for a week-and-a-bit....with no internet access1
Hopefully (when i finish) i shall enter my Hawker Typhoon!
b.t.w where can i find the results for the March aircraft MOM?

cheers

Philip
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 01:58 AM UTC
On this forum!
Just go a few pages back
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 07:03 AM UTC
Here's a 1/400 C-17 built for a die-cast collector. The masters were carved from balsa then cast in resin. The decals were made on my computer.

jetprovost
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
Here's my 1/72 scale Italeri P-51A. It was built straight out of the box and was painted using Humbrol enamels. A little bit of weathering was added using pastels for the finishing touch and some paint chipping with aluminium paint.

Harri
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 05:21 PM UTC
There are some pretty sweet looking builds here. Good job guys!

My entry is Hasegawa's 1/48 A-4F. It has the cutting edge cockpit detail set which makes great use of the original cockpit and just adds some further detail and a much better seat. This build was special to me because it was my father-in-law's squadron and he flew these beauties, because of this and due to his input I made it factory fresh.

Hope all is well.
Leon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 07:06 AM UTC
Last chance for entries voting will start tomorrow, or possibly the day after depending on what I'm doing
Mal
 _GOTOTOP