_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
P-51B Color Demarcation
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
Is it the Tamiya 1/48 kit you are building? I have this kit and the instructions appear to show a hard edge. However I've a feeling that it might have been soft. I've seen a colour picture somewhere of Don by the nose of Shangril-La which, if I can find it again should give the answer. I do a search
Mal
EDIT: Well I didn't get much and didn't find the pic I wanted

Artist panel

EDIT:

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:53 AM UTC
Hi Fred:

I agree with Mal, it looks like a soft edge.
Looking at the picture published in "Mustang Aces of the Eight Airforce" (Osprey) page 39, it seems to me that it´s a neat soft edge.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 01:18 PM UTC
Hi Mal & Carlos,

Thank you for the effort you put forth on my behalf!

When I got home I snared my 8th A.F. In Color, Roger Freeman's P-51 Mustang, and a couple other WWII color books. I have no doubt it is soft edged, a neat, tight soft edge.

I also noted that sloppy paint work on his spinner and checkerboard! There's hope for me!

Mal, it is Tamiya's. It is about to get an OD top coat tonight. I broke from my MO and didn't prime it with silver as my photos don't show much chipped paint (at least not until the photos where Gentile pranged his ship on his final buzz job!!!).

Thanks again!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2005 - 06:20 AM UTC
The trouble with sloppy paintwork on the real aircraft is if you reproduce it in model form that's exactly what it looks like, sloppy paint work. Trouble is it becomes your sloppy paintwork unless you are prepared to explain to anyone who goes near your model, which becomes a pain. Same argument for hurriedly painted D-Day stripes on real aircraft, in model for you probably need to put the model in a diorama showing the it being painted with a sweeping brush :-)
When I saw the sloppy paintwork I thought off painting it like that, but I won't for the reason staated above.
Looking forward to seeing it finished and entered in the MOM
Mal
 _GOTOTOP