_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
OH58 Kiowa help
Davester444
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 03:40 AM UTC
I have just bought the Academy 1:35 OH58D Kiowa, as I thought it would be good as an entry for the Nam campaign. However, I have just found that only the OH58A was used in Nam. If anyone could help me with what needs changing to turn it into the 'A' model I would be really grateful. Thanks in advance.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 03:56 AM UTC
Sorry, but it would be much easier to find one of the old Revell 1/32 OH-58A models than to backdate the Academy OH-58D. The D is a very different aircraft. You would have to rebuild the entire section above the roofline and rebuild the tailboom as well. The Revell kit pops up on Ebay quite often. It is apretty good kit to start with.

Below you can see the differences.

OH-58A

OH-58D

I have an old ICM (Pre-Revell, Revell baught their OH-58A molds) Bell Jet Ranger (Civilian designator) that I would be willing to sell if interrested. Let me know.
Davester444
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
Oh. Damn.
Thanks for the help Gino. It still looks like a fun build, so I guess I'll do an M113 or something for the Nam campaign.
phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:08 AM UTC
It is a pretty fun build but a word of warning: the skids are fragile and will bend/break easily, at least they did on mine.
Kyle
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:24 AM UTC
It is a fun build. The skids are kinda fragile. It comes out great once done and you can add lots of details to the engine and cockpit/rear aviaonics and commo compartment. There is an update set as well to bring it up to the latest version (current as of about 2002, in Bosnia). The set is carried by Metoer productions and was mastered by Floyd Werner.
OH-58D upgrade

Here's a pic:

I haven't used it yet, but have heard nothing but good things about it from those who have.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:51 AM UTC
Bew careful with the allignment of the instrument shield. There was not a positive lock into position and I got mine glued at the wrong angle. But I glued it REALLY well..this interferees with the fit of the cockpit glass and has kept me from being able to finish the kit.
I find that lots of the Academy helo kits need to be built in nearly one sitting to line up the sub-assemblies while the glue is still wet.

Mike
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 11:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Bew careful with the allignment of the instrument shield. There was not a positive lock into position and I got mine glued at the wrong angle. But I glued it REALLY well..this interferees with the fit of the cockpit glass and has kept me from being able to finish the kit.
I find that lots of the Academy helo kits need to be built in nearly one sitting to line up the sub-assemblies while the glue is still wet.

Mike

Dry fit, dry fit, dry fit. Then test fit other parts around them when still wet. Alwasy works for me.
 _GOTOTOP