_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Academy F-86F Sabre 'Mig Killer' (1/48)
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 01:37 AM UTC
While i was in Jersey (NOT New Jersey in the USA) the last coupple of days i managed to buy an Academy F-86F Sabre 'Mig Killer' in 1/48. I picked it up for around £12 (there is no VAT in the Channel Islands!). It seems to be a fairly new kit because the box and decals and manual all say copyright 2000. This kit has ABSOLUTLY NO flash! The detail seems pretty good (gun bays, engine, cockpit) and the panel lines are not too deep and not too shallow. The kit is moulded in light grey plastic plus 6 clear parts. The manual is printed clearly adn is a fold-out bookley like in Hasegawa kits. Thankfully the manual does not contain several pages of disclamers like in Revell kits. The manual also gives a short history of the aircraft. Paint and decal schemes are given on a seprate piece of A5 paper that is printed on both sides. A very large decal sheet is given with markings for 2 aircraft during the Korean War. The first is an f-86f (#51-2910). Piloted be Capt. Joseph McConnell, 39th FIS/51st FIW, Korea, 1953 'Beautious Butch II'. The second aircraft is also an F-86F (#52-12958) piloted by Capt. Harold E. Fischer, 39th FIS/51st FIW, Korea, 1953 'The Paper Tiger'.
I hope this preview has been helpful to anyone wanting to buy this kit.
To anyone who has built this kit: what are the pros and cons?

cheers

Philip
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi Philip

I remember when the kit came out, many people said it compared very well with Hasegawa's more expensive version. I got one on the basis of comments like those, even though it's a bit late for my normal timeframe of interest.

The cockpit's a bit weak - the seat's especially poor - but you could always try to modify the True Details set to fit. It's intended for the Hasegawa kit, but I reckon it should fit if you sacrifice the open gun bay.

All the best

Rowan
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 11:19 PM UTC
For painting the cockpit and wheel bays, should i paint them US interior green? Also, sould i get some Alclad 2 for painting the natural metal finish, and if so, which colour? Has anyone had any large fit problems?

cheers

Philip
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 - 10:11 PM UTC
When i stat building it, should i do a review?

cheers

Philip
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
Yes, yes!

Check here for a review of the kit :

http://modelingmadness.com/scotts/korean/f86f.htm

It will also answer your colour questions.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
Hi Philip

I'm the first to admit I'm no Sabre expert! My library of refs kind of gets a bit thin when it comes to Post War stuff.

Going by the instructions for the True Details set, the cockpit should be basically Light Gray FS 36231. I can e-mail you a scan of their painting notes if it'll help.

I've seen models with Yellow Zinc Chromate wheel wells and n/m doors...

Here are a couple of walkaround links which might help:

http://www.cavanaughflightmuseum.com/Aircraft/F-86/Page1.html

http://cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-86/f-86.shtml

Perhaps one of our jet experts can supply more details.

I can't help with much Alclad - I've got bottles of Aluminium and Dark Aluminium on the shelf, ready to try a n/m finish one day... but I haven't used it yet myself.

I test fitted the kit when I got it and it all looks very good indeed. By all means take some pics and keep notes as you make progress. We can either treat it as a Review or a Build Feature.

All the best

Rowan
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:27 AM UTC
ALCLAD is easy to work with.

1- Don a mask
2- Spray very light coats until everything is covered and it'll dry rock hard.
3- Use Future or Sandable grey primer to prime.

_GOTOTOP