Hosted by Rowan Baylis
battle of britain me 109
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 603 posts
AeroScale: 565 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 04:44 PM UTC
here is my latest project. this is hasegawas 1/48 bf 109e-4/7. the build is out of box as major wick, oct 1940.

the paints are a mixture of model master enamels and tamiya acrylic.

many many apologies. cant seem to get the resizing of the pics down.

joe
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 06:14 PM UTC
Very awesome. Don't worry about the resizing now. My only criticism goes to your wheels. If you could go back and even them out, you would have a real winner, especially the left wheel. Also, in the second photo, the left side of your tail wheel looks like it needs touching up. Wheels are hard to do, but practice really does make perfect. Also I think your left chevron decal didn't quite fit right. Otherwise, your camo is great and your weathering is supurb. Job well done for an OOB kit.

Jeff
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hi Joe

Nice job on Helmut Wick's "wragged" mottle! The closest I've come to trying it was a similar finish on a WW1 plane - did you stipple it on with a brush? If I have to be "picky", it would just be to say that the main canopy frame and windscreen would normally be dark, regardless of where the camouflage colour demarcation ran, but that's a minor point in a lovely model.

I agree with Jeff about the wheels. In fact, the hubs on a '109 would normally be black (not grey), so you could still re-touch them carefully and "kill two birds with one stone." Then just add a touch of dry-brushing to pull out the detail.

All the best

Rowan
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2005 - 11:36 PM UTC
nice bird.

Same comments.

Is it me or is the engine-part too yellow? :
(could be the picture like always.)
Don't worry about the weels Ihad the same problem with my Corsair....couldn't fix it.
is it airbrushed?

cheeerzQ
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC
many many thanks. i really appreciate the comments. i didnt know that about the wheels, they are easy enough to fix. some of the decals did not sit right, unfortunately no matter how much paint i use will not help them. i also didnt know about the canopy. many many thanks. the mottle is basically drybrushed. my skills with an airbrush are not to that level.

again many many thanks for the comments.

joe
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi Tom

I'd be surprised to see the whole hub stripped right back to bare metal - that's heavy weathering!... but anything's possible.

As regards painting on models. A lot of modellers make a mask with a compass cutter. You can either mask the hub or the tyre, but the idea is the same; the circular mask makes for a neat finish. LOL! I'm like you... I usually end up using a small brush and a fine eye to catch the mistakes.

All the best

Rowan
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 12:22 PM UTC
Hi Joe ! Nice to see your work over here.

I paint my hubs with a #000 brush. Any "boo-boos" are usually covered by a wash between the wheel and hub.
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 12:42 PM UTC
again thankyou so very much. the info is greatly appreciated. going to fix this so i can enter it in a contest in june. bill didnt realize you posted your fine work here also. fantastic

joe
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 01:59 AM UTC
Nice one Joe,
I have this model in these markings in my collection. having built 4 of them (one of which is at the top of the page) I know of the canopy fit problem, when showing it closed. I had to carefully sand away quite a bit of both front and back edges. My model of Major Wick's plane has the canopy open for this reason. On this aircraft and as far has I have ever seen on pics of WWII era Messerschmitt fighters, the wheel hubs are gloss black. I use a simple trick when painting wheels: Take a little of your tyre colour and thin it to a wash, let this run around the wheel rim, giving you a thin line. Now, using normally thinned paint, paint up to that line. No need for masks and it is very easy.
I see you have lost the front of the air intake on the side of the cowling? It is not a complicated shape and should be possible to scratch build. I might have a spare, from my 109E-7 Trop build. I'll have a look
Mal
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 05:16 AM UTC
again many many thanks for the kind words and the info. i will be fixing the wheel hubs before it gets entered. as for the intake. i had it on and someone told me it was wrong for that bird. i couldnt find anything that was positive one way or the other. i can sure scratch it if it is needed.

again i appreciate the comments.

joe
 _GOTOTOP