Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 07:09 AM UTC
I have added more pics to my FW 190D-9 online build. Taking pics of all the relevent parts has been a little chllenging can you spot something that isn't quite right I'm up to pic 82. I do have a few more, as I have just, today, given it it's primer coat (Rowan, smooth as a babies :-) ) So soon onto the interesting bit, painting.
There was no response to my last post about what I should start for an online build. I have just aquired a Accurate Minitures B-25 Dirty Dora and I was considering doing that?
Mal
FW190D-9 Online build
EDIT: Forgot to mention, click on the "Sort now" button (bottom right) to get the pics in the correct order.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 07:30 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Smooth as a baby's what?

I missed your post about what to build... where is it? Accurate Miniatures' B-25 sounds a good choice though...

All the best

Rowan
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
looking very good so far! I can't wait to see it finished and with all those tips in there the next time i build one it will look so much better then the one i have allready built!

cheers

Philip
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 - 07:08 AM UTC
Rowan,

Quoted Text

I missed your post about what to build... where is it? Accurate Miniatures' B-25 sounds a good choice though...

I can't seem to find the post, but it contained models such as Tamiya's He 219, Revells Ju52 and Hasegawa's F104C However since obtaining AM's B-25 I'm inclined to do that, it's a great kit, I was going to do a glass nosed bomber but I do like the look of "Dirty Dora"
Philip,

Quoted Text

looking very good so far! I can't wait to see it finished and with all those tips in there the next time i build one it will look so much better then the one i have allready built!

Well that is the aim, this is being done with novice modellers in mind, and you in particular Philip. I hope that one thing that comes out is the time scale. Admittedly taking the pics does prolong the process because I can't move on until I have pics of the current stage. But even in a good fitting kit dry fitting is the key, it highlights any problems. The skill is in eliminating the cause of the problem, or working around it. This comes with experience. I've tried to highlight these areas, sometimes you only find out it's a problem when it's to late. Which is why it is worth making sure parts fit properly as you go, so yer bum don't get bit later :-) The cockpit decking and head rest being a case in point.
I also hope I've shown that it's not difficult to improve kit parts, like gun barrels, it just requires the tools, knowledge and a willingness to try. There are also simpler ways of improving the look of gun barrels and the like, by simply painting the ends matt black.
During the painting stages I will endevour to take pics to show how it builds up, and try and show technique. I must admit to not being to hopeful of acheiving this, unless I can get my daughter in my spray booth as well to take the pics. Maybe I can do a mini video and take stills out?
Mal
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 - 07:26 AM UTC
The video sounds like a good idea but it would probbably take just as long with all the editing and stuff. Plus videos eat up digi-cam memory like crazy. I found out about the canopy decking and the head reast the hard way....by getting a seriously frosted up canopy!

cheers

Philip
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 09:12 AM UTC
AM B-25, eh?

I'm still working on mine, she's all painted up, but it took so long to get there... Very complicated model...

My next B-25 will be a good ole Monogram, and they're almost the third of the price of the Accurate one.

RedSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 14, 2005 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi Mal,
I've just joined the forum, and it's all YOUR fault!
I haven't done any modelling at all since the early eighties (and then it was armour I was into), but you have made me think - 'I want to do that!'
Thanks largely to your excellent articles (and some of the other generous people who take the time and effort to write stuff for newbies like me), I've just built my first ever 1/48 scale aircraft. It was the article about pre-shading particularly that intrigued and inspired me.

Not up to your awesome standards by any stretch , but anyway I have now just about finished my Tamiya Do335 - A-1 Pfeil after a thoroughly enjoyable few weeks.

Now that I have had a look at your online build pics of the FW190D-9, I am sure I'll make a lot better job of the next project. I had a look at the potential list for your next online build - please don't do the Do335!! It'll make me want to re-build mine with an axe...

Steve
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 09:14 AM UTC
Hello again Steve, I have just finished replying to your excellant Do 335 thread. I said you had made up my mind and I will build the Do 335 as an online build :-)
I don't know about standards but if you haven't built since the eighties and it was armour you aint got far to go
I am really pleased that you found the articles usefull and I'm even more pleased that they inspired you back into the hobby, especially building Aircraft. I hope you become a regular member of the Aircraft forum. Remember ask anything you like, no question is a dumb question on Armorama.
I will, hopefully be posting pics of the Pre-shading on the Fw 190D-9 over the week end.
OK, I wont do the 335, what do ya recken I should do?
Have you checked out the Union Jack Forum?
Mal
RedSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hi Mal,

Thanks for saving my blushes on the Do335! You were starting to worry me there. I have put up a reply on the Do335 thread to your comments and queries there regarding the pre-shading I tried.

Anyway I do have a suggestion for you - what about doing the He177A that was captured by the french resistance and flown back to the UK. It ended up in RAF markings with invasion stripes - that'd be a good one... :-)

I have posted a pic to help with this one...take a look

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 08:16 PM UTC
Steve,
A very interesting looking scheme, but when a 1/48 He 177 finally turns up it will be done in Luftwaffe markings. I'm afraid I don't do the captured look, Spitfires and swastikas don't mix :-)
Mal
Remember "you just can't have to many Spitfires".
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 10:29 PM UTC
Revell do a very good 1/72 He-177 A-4....with guided bombs! I've got oe in my stash. It's got good interior detail, nicely engraved panel lines, the works. But i can not decide what camo patern to do ! Box art scheme looks too tircky and the other scheme looks too boring.

cheers

Philip
RedSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 11:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,
A very interesting looking scheme, but when a 1/48 He 177 finally turns up it will be done in Luftwaffe markings.

Well, I hoped I would raise a smile with that one
But seriously from your list -

1. Heinkel He 219 (with Aires cockpit)
2. Mitsubishi Betty (OOB)
3. Bristol Beaufighter (with aires cockpit)
4. P-51 (OOB, NMF)
5. P-47 (OOB, NMF)
6. Starfighter (Aires cockpit, undercarriage bays and burner can, NMF)
7. Dornier Do335 (with Aires cockpit)

It'd be the Beau I'd love to see.

Cheers
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 03:33 AM UTC
I've added a few more pics, starting the painting. Masking wheel wells, priming and pre-shading.
I painted the RLM 76 today so pics soon, then we get to the serious stuff and the bit I really like.
Mal
RedSteve
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 11:11 AM UTC
Mal,
Quick question, if you don't mind me asking - when you say (in the online build) 'white glue', what do you mean? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it's new to me.
Steve
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 08:54 AM UTC
Hi Steve,
No question is a dumb question, there is no reason for you to know.
White glue generally refers to wood glue. It is white and when dry turns clear. Superscale make "Super Krystal Kleer" which is a sort of refined white glue that is used for "glasing" small window opennings and is probably the best, for modelling purposes. On the 190 I actually used another type which is made for R/C models, but works much the same. White glue is used to attach clear parts, in none stress situations, such as canopies, as it doesn't affect the clear plastic. I would normally glue the windscreen on with normal liquid cement, but the coaming is a bit close to it and if it touches it the liquid cement would ruin it. I was going to permanently fix the sliding part, as it will be closed, but it isn't (I'll explain in the build). being attache dwith White glue enables it to be painted in situe but it is removeable.
You can use ordinary wood working white glue. All of them can be diluted with water and have many uses.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP