_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hasegawa 1/32 aircraft questions.
lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 03:39 AM UTC
G'day guys
Just wanting some opinions on Hasagewa's 1/32 aircraft, in pasrticular their P-51D Mustang "Big Beautiful Doll" and their BF-109's.
Cheers
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi David,

A quick look on HLJ gives the following info on the P-51Big Beautiful Doll:

"Limited reissue of the Hasegawa 1/32 scale P-51D kit with decals to mark it as either Col. J.D. Landers' "Big Beautiful Doll" or Col. Frederick C. Gray's "Mr. Ted III". While not a new kit, this is still considered by many to be the best 1/32 Mustang available with an accurate outline and fine raised surface detail (some panel lines are recessed)."
Gunfighter
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 743 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 06:33 AM UTC
If you haven't already, check out http://www.largescaleplanes.com, especially under the "Articles" Section. Lots of good looks at these kits.

The talk on that site is pretty positive on the P-51D.
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 04:16 PM UTC
Well, I will speak from experience on the 1/32 Hasegawa Mustang. Be prepared to use all your skills to make a presentable model. The big knock on this kit is the fit up of the spinner to the forward fuselage. Also, the engine cover will not fit correctly, huge gaps will have to be addressed. I used plenty of styrene shim stock. Wing to fuselage is gap city, I used a lot of filller here. If you display the engine, be advised that the kit is totally lacking accurate interior detail. The exhausts are not only out of scale, but pathetic, I scrathchbuilt straight exhausts on this bird. My advice is to go ahead and get the resin cockpit, it made the difference. I also used a vaccuform canopy, the kit canopy was also lacking. Other than that, have fun!

Steve

lestweforget
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
AeroScale: 224 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 06:05 PM UTC
hmmm...maybe i will go with Trumepeters! :-)
 _GOTOTOP