_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
AAARGH! Feline Felony!
gunnerk19
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 04:32 PM UTC
After many hours of working on my new (give or take) 10 year old 1/24 Airfix Ju-87B-2, more importantly the fixed canopy piece, I masked it off, painted, waited, painted more, and waited more for it to dry; Figured I'd take a shower in the meantime, and when I got out, THIS is what remained...

Since it was just myself and the cat home at the time, there can only be one culprit- Apparently he thought it would be fun to use it as a play toy...

Now I'm stuck in my progress until I can get a replacement; I've emailed Airfix but have not yet gotten a reply. And Mr. Kitty is down to 8 lives...
rbeebe99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 540 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 04:58 PM UTC
I think Mr. Kitty should find the hotline# for PETA real quick.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 06:56 PM UTC
Hi Don

Ah the perils of pets! I remember years ago I was doing a conversion of the Monogram Me 262 into a 2-seat nightfighter (long before Dragon's kit) and our puppy decided to test her nice new sharp little teeth on it... A few weeks work down the drain!

Good luck getting the replacement canopy - the kit's still on the shelves in modelshops over here, so Airfix may well have spares.

All the best

Rowan
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 07:05 PM UTC
Hey Don all might not be lost. This may or may not work but it's worth a shot. Strip the paint from the canopy, then dip both pieces into furture floor wax and let dry 24 hours. Then super glue the two pieces togather as tight as you can ( the floor wax should not fog the clear glass when glued) let dry and dip the canopy in to the floor wax, you may have to do this twice. But by dipping it, it should fill the crack some. But thats only you don't get a replacement part.

Good luck and hope Airfix comes through for you.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 07:37 AM UTC
Another shining example of why not to have cats. They are useless I say, useless. Can't stand them.
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 08:47 AM UTC
go trade the cat for a hamster at your pet shop.

Frank
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

go trade the cat for a hamster...

Equelly, if not more of a useless pet. Stick to dogs.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 09:03 AM UTC
The joys of our pets. While building a T55 i put it in the box on the floor so i could work on something else. Then the next day i picked it up and the tank fell apart in my hands into all its seperate pieces. Our 8 week old kitten thought the box was a litter tray. Thank god it was only wee. One well washed model and scolded cat the lessons were learned, DO NOT put box on floor and cat pee unsticks glue. :-) :-) :-)
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hey James your idea ia a good one. As for super glue and floor wax...it works. I use this method for glueing canopys on. I tryed them all and this works the best and with out fogging and a much better bond.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
Trade the cat in for a few fish... They are great !! don't poop on floor, you never hear a sound out of them, plus...... watching them swim is a stress releiver....

(++)
gunnerk19
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 05:31 PM UTC
Another thing I thought to do the other night was to drill out and remove the clear sections altogether, glue some clear acetate behind the openings and reinforce the frame with some thin styrene or brass strips, build up the frame (I can't find the small triangle piece anywhere on the floor), and redo the glass with Testor's clear window maker...
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Another shining example of why not to have cats. They are useless I say, useless. Can't stand them.

LOL Any normal modelfanatic, who owns said culprit
would have placed the glass under a cover till dry, or
performed the easiest task of closing the door to the
model dungeon room.
 _GOTOTOP