Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Trumpeter F4U- 1/1A style
Jaster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 07:13 AM UTC
OK...a long dormant urge has come to the surface. I've want to build a Corsair. There I feel better now! I've read "The Jolly Rogers" by Tom Blackburn several times (a fantastic book on leadership for anyone, in any business). That is where the urge came from, plus the fact that the Corsair is just a mean and nasty looking airplane.

So, at SEMMEX this weekend I started looking at the Trumpeter kits in 1/32- seems that there is no F4U1 or 1A from them. My question (sorry- I get a bit wordy)- how hard is it to backdate a F4U-1D to a 1 or 1A.

I think the 1D to 1A difference is basically the horizontal frame of the bubble top and the deletion of the antenna from the fuselage. The F4U-1 Birdcage is my big question. First does anyone make an aftermarket "birdcage" canopy for the Trumpeter kit? And are there any other visual differences?? From my initial research the antenna and the obvious canopy are the only ones.

Thanks...and sorry for blathering on.

Jim
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hey Jaster-

I'm with you on this... I can only see the differences in the canopy and the addition of another radio mast. According to the book I'm looking at the tail-hook leg (the little nub that extends behind the vertical and horizontal stabo's where the tail hook comes out) is a little longer on the 1A and 1D compaired to the 1.

There were some engine differences too, with the F4U-1 having a P&W R-2800-8 (2000 hp) and the F4U-1A &1D using the P&W R-2800-8W, a water cooled engine that put out 250 more hp.

The visual differences between the 1A and 1D seem to be minimal, with the exception of the 1D having additional hardpoints for bombs and whatnot. As far as I can tell the 1A and 1D used the same canopy...

Since I build in smaller scales I can get away with more, but if you're building a big-bird you may want to pick up a copy of squadron publications corsair in action
http://www.squadron.com/ItemDetails.asp?item=SS1145

The book I got my info from is called the "Encyclopedia of aircraft of World War II" It's a bargain book that you can pick up for about $20 at Waldon books or Barnes and Noble. ISBN # 1-904687-07-5 it's a good book with a little information on a lot of airplanes (Axis and Allies). If anything it's fun to thumb through while watching the History Channel. :-) :-) :-)

Good luck and keep us posted !

-Scott
Airfoil
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 43 posts
AeroScale: 11 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 05:40 AM UTC
Hi Jaster,

Gotta love the bent wing bird. The biggest difference, as has been already mentioned, is the canopies on the various versions. If you are backdating to a Dash 1, birdcage there are a few other things that need to be addressed.

The cutouts behind the canopy, the windows in the belly and a shorter tail wheel strut. The seat was also set lower on the Dash 1. The two outboard center section hardpoints will have to go on any backdate.

VF-17 used the Dash 1A which would be the easiest route. Just add the horizontal framing to the canopy and remove the pylons.

I am thinking about doing a Dash 1C. Basically a D with four twenty millimeter canons. Have to get a kit to start with though.

Ardell
Jaster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 579 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 11:59 AM UTC
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the info. The 1A sounds easier, but the 1 (birdcage) has an appeal, partly because you just don't see it very often, esp. in 1/32nd scale.

I'll have to see...without an aftermarket canopy for the Birdcage it is a non-starter.

Again thanks!

Jim
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 02:29 PM UTC
You can read an online build I did last year of this kit on my website, backdated to reflect MAJ Boyington's aircraft at http://www.scalewarbirds.com/trumpetercorsair_online_build.htm I hope this article helps!!
 _GOTOTOP