_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Mr. Tank's "Moskito" (Ta 154) Finished !
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 09:04 AM UTC
There weren't many parts to add once the wash and dullcote were applied, so finishing this build went quickly.

In case you haven't seen the in-progress pics, this is ProModeler's 1/48 Focke-Wulf Ta 154 "Moskito." I used an Eduard photoetch set, and I also added wiring to the cockpit and hydraulics to the gear legs. The camo is Model Master enamels (RLM 76 & 75), sprayed freehand with a Badger 150 airbrush.

Sorry about the large pics, but my Photobucket account exceeded it's bandwith. Hope the don't take forever to load if you have dial-up !

The bottom right radar antenna came out of alignment while shooting the pics (#3 & 6). It's difficult to move this aircraft around without bumping something.

Thanks for letting me share the build with you !

Now, back to the Me 262s . . .
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
Bill, nice bird. I see you had a small mishap with the airbrush right in front of the left side wind screen. Not all that noticable. I hate when that happens. Get a good pattern going, smooth flow then Wham! a small blotch. Still looks great. Any problems with the build? I have two of these on the shelf. Some day....yeah right. Thanks for sharing your build. "Q"
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 12:03 PM UTC
Very nice Bill! Very nice indeed!
As always, you have put together something special... nice job.

-scott
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 12:22 PM UTC
Bill,
I commented before or your last update as well.
It came out great, I especially like your camo mottle job.
Now that shes done.come back and give her a suttle
weathing to give it some depth. The clean look is very apparant on her belly side. Hit the flight control areas and panels to nice affect.
Other than that she looks the part!!!
Can't wait for the 262's. Todd
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC
Looks great pix. I wish I built half as fast and as well as you. Speaking of which, where do you put all of your finished builds? My shelf is almost full and I am starting to wonder what I'll do if I ever actually finish any more...

Again, nice work.
Leon
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 03:18 PM UTC
Thank you Matthew, Scott, Todd, and Leon !

Matthew - every one of my builds have flaws. I figure that if I ever build one that's "flawless," it will be time to find a new hobby. There won't be anything left to learn !
When you build this kit, you need to place shims bettween the nacelles and the outer lower wing panels to prevent anhedral. If you look at the pics on the bottom of the box, you'll notice this. The right wing sits a little high, so trimming of the slot/tab will smooth it. You need a LOT of weight in the nacelles. Add more than you think you'll need, because you probably will need it. Gl;uing the main wheels also helps keep it from flopping back on it's tail. If you like photoetch, get the Eduard set. It's worth every penny, in my opinion.

scott - I've wondered why you don't see many of these kits built. It's a nice addition to a nightfighter collection.

Todd - I choose not to weather my builds, for a couple of reasons. I see weathering as a product of the environment. Since I don't do bases or dios, a weathered model on a clean shelf looks out of place to me (like a clean build in a wartime dio, but in reverse). I have over 200 1/48 builds displayed, and I don't have the room (or the time) to construct environments. I also plan on having someone build a display for me. It will be a 1/48 museum, complete with placards and ropes around the aircraft. A weathered model would look REALLY out of place there. Of course, we're all free to finish our builds as we wish. If you like yours weathered, that's fine. I just choose to not weather mine.

Leon - I have six bookcases with added shelves, and a built-in hutch that holds 40 builds. I can also fit my latest 16 builds on top of my speaker cabinets. In the basement, I have some unused shelves and brackets. When I need them, I'll put them up on the walls. I'm disabled, so I spend about 6 to 10 hours a day at the bench. It only seems like I build fast, but most kits have 80 - 100 hours in them.

Thanks again !
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 01:11 AM UTC
a very nice clean build.. I have one of these in the stash to do sometime... and your right you don't see many of these built..

I think one reason might be that some of the serious aircraft guys would rather do a model that had more of an impact..

The Ta 154 was plagued with problems with being accepeted at the start then when it was finally accepted and put into production the factory that made the glue for the laminated plywood got bombed. and the replacement was nowhere near as good and several of the planes basicly just dissentigrated in mid-air production was stopped with around 50 planes being built.. some were used as jet trainers and others had a brief lifespan as night fighters..

(info is from 1 of my books and a couple of online references so maybe its right)..

almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 04:24 AM UTC
hi bill its nice to see less well known aircraft in kit form, i have two questions btw do you build a variety of models, or is it only luftwaffe planes, myself i tend to go through "fads" i.e. a year ago i was only building ww1 aircraft, now ive swung back to luftwaffe machines( including an arado240 ive had in my stash for a while that your recent nightfighter builds inspired me to start) the other thing is what are the "straps" on the top of the aircraft where the wings join the fusalage?
cheers phil
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 05:10 AM UTC
Thanks Delbert and Phil !

Delbert - I consider myself a "serious" modeler, and you can only build so many Bf 109s, P-51s, etc. I need some variety on my shelves. The Ta 154's production was halted when the RAF bombed the town in which the "glue" (Tigofilm) that held the aircraft together was made. The replacement resin ate into the wood, causing structural failure in flight. It was a beautifully desined aircraft, though.

Phil - I only build 1/48 WW II aircraft, from any nation. I'm addicted to photoetch, so lately I've been building kits for which I have detail sets. When my consignment building gets going, I'll be able to get more. Right now, things are pretty tight. You can see some of the builds I've done in the past year or so here: http://home.comcast.net/~bi55ll/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html
The bands on the upper fuselage are most probably stiffeners. This aircraft was constructed from wood. The De Havilland Mosquito had stiffeners on the starboard fuselage side, so that's the basis of my guess.

Thanks again !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 08:24 AM UTC
Great looking bird, Bill. Another inspirational build. I have one of these, but no references, until now. Looking forward to the 262's
Mal
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 12:46 PM UTC
Thanks Mal !

There are 14 pics here:
http://www.luftwaffepics.com/lta1541.htm

I didn't find any cockpit photos. I just used "imagineering."
The single-seat 262 will probably be finished this weekend (I made the radar antennas from brass tube and wire today), and the two-seater sometime next week.

Thanks again !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 07:40 AM UTC
Imagineering is fine by me Bill
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi Bill

Lovely job! The inserts to correct the wing-droop which you mentioned in your earlier thread are a great tip - I'll remember them when I tackle one of my stash of these beasts!

"Imagineering"... I always use Shep Paine's term "gizmology" - and I often resort to it when I know the kit's lacking, but I have no refs.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP