_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/72 wellingtons?
heer7
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 07:48 AM UTC
(no not rubber boots )

I am supposed to be making a RAF Wellington for my grandfather as a birthday present. He flew in one when he was training for nightfighting use of radar.

First: What Mk would it have been. My research so far shows it is probably a IX or X.

Second: What model/s are available in 1/72?

Third: What upgrades resin, PE or otherwise are avilable?

A lot of questions I hope not impossible to answer

With much thanks

h7
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 07:53 AM UTC
Only one mark X, that I see, sorry http://www.squadron.com/SearchResults.asp?ScaleList=72&TypeList=1&ManuList=everything&Key=wellington&Submit=Go
Best of Luck
Davester444
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 07:55 AM UTC
Heres a couple of kits, don't know about the quality because I'm not an aircraft modeller.

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/619_1_23396.html

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/901_1_12431.html

The second one is sold out on this website, but now you know whats out there. Can't find any resin/PE upgrades, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 11:28 AM UTC
The only Wellington I've seen in 1/72 is the ancient Airfix which was one of my first 1/72 aircraft over 40 years ago. Its flaps, rudder and airlerons were all movable.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 11:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only Wellington I've seen in 1/72 is the ancient Airfix which was one of my first 1/72 aircraft over 40 years ago. Its flaps, rudder and airlerons were all movable.

I remember that well. I built it with my dad and then a couple of years later i flew it out the window :-)
mossieramm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 253 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 06:12 PM UTC
Hi, as far as I know, Revell, MPM, Matchhbox and modelcraft all do a Wellington. But what they are like I don't know. Not really helpful am I.
ukgeoff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 09:02 PM UTC
The Revell kit is a re-boxed Matchbox kit. External detail is not to bad, fairly restrained geodetic effect on the flying surfaces but missing from the fin. Sparce cockpit detail, though now much will be visable through the glasing remains to be seen (I've not built my example yet) and no wheel well detail. Their "trade mark" panel lines on the engine cowls and fin. One of the MPM kits is reviewed on Hyper-scale , there may be other marks in the pipline. The Aifix kit has been around since the 60's, I belive it was their first large model, with all that implies reguarding detail.
 _GOTOTOP