_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Me 262A-1a Nachtjager finished
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
I finished the second Lady of the Evening from my "Fly by Night" project today.

This is Trimaster's 1/48 Me 262A-1a Nachtjager, mostly OOB. I added wiring and hydraulic lines to the wheel wells and gear legs, and the cable from the handle of the emergency release mechanism. I also used True Details resin wheels. The flaps were cut and glued open, using micro solder for the supports and sheet styrene for the inner wing structure. All the rest is from the box.

My first attempts at adding the ribbons to the starboard side of the fin were not convincing. I tried thread and 2 lb. fishing line, but I didn't like the results. Right now, I just have thin strips of white tape. This will be easily removed when I can fabricate something more convincing, which will probably be paint.

Hope you like it, and thanks for letting me share the build with you !

That's two down, one to go !
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 11:49 AM UTC
Amazing work my friend.

You are an inspiration to us all!

Keep it up!

almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 06:31 PM UTC
thats an awesome 262 you have there bill, the detail in the wheel well and cockpit is really sweet, i especially liked the head on photo, i think its the meanest looking aspect of these machines. nice one mate!
cheers phil
Martinnnn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
AeroScale: 32 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 06:38 PM UTC
That looks really great! Not only the model itself btw, the pictures are high quality too!

The detail is unbelievable....very cool!

Martin
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 09:51 PM UTC
Great Bill..
thats a brilliant piece of work.
I love it all but the cabling and wiring in the wells are superb.

How much of it was scratch and how long did it take start to finish?

If I'd done it I would have been a very young man when I first opened the box... :-)

Cheers
Peter
:-)
hworth18
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 01:02 AM UTC
Great work on the 262.... This is one of my favorite versions, and you have done it Very Well my friend..
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 01:04 AM UTC
that is a quality build Pixilator! What are the ribbons on the tail for anyways?

cheers

Philip
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 01:45 AM UTC
Tufts to check airflow over the rudder.

Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 01:46 AM UTC
Thank you Olivier, Phil, Martin, Peter, Harry, and Philip !

Martin - before my latest medical condition, I was a media arts student concentrating on photo and video. I also have a very nice camera, a Canon PowerShot G5 (5 megapixels). I use all manual settings, and I resize and compress the pics with Adobe Photoshop.

Peter - Aside from the wiring and hydraulics in the wheel well and gear legs, I cut & positioned the leading edge slats dropped. The openings in the wings was filled with sheet styrene, and the rails for the slats were made from micro solder. I used a set of True DEtails resin wheels. The rest of the build is from the box. There's a lot of photoetch and white metal parts in this kit, in addition to brass tube and wire. Definately the best Me 262 kit available in any scale (although I can't afford to see that 1/18 MON$TER !). This kit was built along with a recently completed 1/48 ProModeler Ta 154 and a 1/48 Dragon Me 262B-1a/U1. The entire project will take less than two months, slower than usual for me. Progress was slowed by a crew of workers that were in my apartment for two weeks, replacing my living room ceiling.

Philip - this was a test aircraft (hence the "V" number). The non-functional radar antennas were installed, and aerodynamic tests were conducted. The ribbons on the tail show airflow during flight. The engineers needed to know the effects of the antennas.

Thanks again !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 06:00 AM UTC
As always Bill a wonderfull model.
I'm interested in which RLM top colours you have used. The reason is that,apparently, there is some confusion of whether RLM82 or 83 is the dark or light green (bright green). It seems that Xtracolor have the RLM numbers wrong and have RLM 83 as light green. I guess that the brown colour is RLM 81 Brown Violet?
Mal
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 07:07 AM UTC
Thanks Mal !

The topside camo is RLM 81 Brown violet and RLM 82 Light (or Bright) green, with RLM 76 Light (or White) blue lower surfaces. It seems that model paint manufacturers used some erroneous documentation regarding RLM 82 and 83. Decal makers, such as Eagle Cals and Eagle Strike, cite 82 as light and 83 as dark. Since the decal documentation is more recent, I believe they are more accurate. Model Master also makes this error. As long as you use the color's name (light or dark) for reference, the number doesn't really matter.

Thanks again !
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC
Amazing job. I like it very much, clean build and very good paint job.

Congrats, itīs a very nice 262.
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
Thanks Carlos !

I like 'em clean. One day, I'll get that 1/48 museum/display case built.

Thanjks again !
 _GOTOTOP