_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
CH-46 weathered & decaled
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 08:34 AM UTC
Almost at the finish line Here she is weathered and decals. I used oils for the panel line, gray & blue. For the exhaust stains is mixed Tamiya'a smoke w/ a small drop of flat brown. 10% paint 90% thinner. Then added a small drop of flat black to that mixture and sprayed that in center. For the rust again oils, burnt sienna.

Jeff..answered your last question in the last post
Crackshot53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 143 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
Looking great!

Roger

USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 08:57 AM UTC
Your exhaust is great. A lot of the weathering and rust is very subtle and great. My only critizism would have to be that the panel lines are too vivid. I know that the panel lines on real aircraft can be prominent, but I am not sure if they would be that prominent at along the whole aircraft. Maybe if you able to tone down certain panels that would not be opened alot. Access panels that are regularly opened for inspection and maintenence would be the exception.

Otherwise, you have done an awesome job. Finish this one up and enter her into a contest and watch the blue ribbon come to you.

I have enjoyed following the progress of this. Very cool to see the progression.

Jeff
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 02:21 PM UTC
Very well done over all. But the exhaust is a thing of beauty! Simply, the best I've seen so far.
I've been following your build as I have that kit in my stash. Keep the pics comming.

Chuck
rbeebe99
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 540 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 02:33 PM UTC
Good God that looks great Mother, love looking at helicopter models especially ones done as well as yours. Might just have to put the armor away for awhile and give one of these a try. Certainly enough inspiration here.
Regards,
Robert
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 02:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Your exhaust is great.

I'm not sure that I would like someone to tell me that me exhaust is great!

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Just kiddin'

Great looking Bull buddy!

mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 03:00 PM UTC
Thank guys here's a pic on my next one. I love the way the front looks.

11Charlie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 31 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 24, 2005 - 06:25 PM UTC
It looks great Mother! Can't wait to see it finished and I'm looking forward to seeing the next one with the Stars & Stripes. Nice work!
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank guys here's a pic on my next one. I love the way the front looks.

Joe, will you be hand painting the front, or is there a decal? Either way it will look sharp.

Chuck
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 03:59 AM UTC
Hey Chuck i'll be airbrushing in the colors and using dry transfer stars.
46mech
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC
Awesome job with the the engine ehaust trail. Oh man is it time for another 7 day?! :-) (aircaft wash time). I would agree with Jeff, some panels are too prominent. Alittle toning down would help. But overall it is a great looking build. And of a/c 63, I was not in that detachment but worked on it when it returned to San Diego from thier cruise for a short time. Keep up with the great job. Really love it!!!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
Wonderful work Joe, I just love it
Mal
commandosolo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 59 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:10 AM UTC
What scale is that sea knight?
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 09:16 AM UTC
1/48, it's the Academy kit.

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 10:12 AM UTC
Looks good Joe.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:45 AM UTC
Howdy Joe,

Congrat's on an honestly terrific paint job pardner. That exhaust effect you acheived is really superb. Not only does it look good, but you even got the correct angle for the blowback (round about 45 degrees and downnnnnnnn)............nice

If you're looking for any nits, the only one I can come up with at this point is to agree with my colleage's on the slightly agressive panel lines. Just be careful toning them down....wouldn't want to lose any of that other dandy detail.

I've been planning a 46 build for a Helo-based GB I've been wanting to do (if I can generate any interest here). My depiction will be a 'ramp landing' of a U.S. Army 46' (yes, I'll build Army birds too ) resupplying an advance firebase in the 'Nam at the top of a rather barren, and shell sweep hilltop.
It's kinda designed so that the ship is sticking out at an angle from the hilltop.......kinda like this

It'll be a fairly large dio, but......what the heck.

Now I just need somebody to paint some 'Nam figs for me.......since I'm 'fig' -challenged..........

Tread.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 11:56 AM UTC
Joe,
It is looking great. I agree with the panel lines, but those are easy to fix, just go easy on them so you don't mess up the finish. Good job. Can't wait to see number 2 with the stars and stries on the front.

Quoted Text

I've been planning a 46 build for a Helo-based GB I've been wanting to do (if I can generate any interest here). My depiction will be a 'ramp landing' of a U.S. Army 46' (yes, I'll build Army birds too
It'll be a fairly large dio, but......what the heck.

Tread.

Tread,
Great pic, but that is a USMC CH-46. US Army didn't/doesn't use the CH-46, never has. They use its cousin, the CH-47 Chinook.

By the way, how goes the progress on your Vietnam Monitor? Would love to see the progress and your conversion parts.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 12:39 PM UTC
Howdy Gino,

Many thx for the gentle clarification. I am indeed aware of the assignment's of the helo's in question. Having been an Avionic's Tech in the 'Corp (although I didn't actually work on 46's) I still have some synapse's still workin'...

It is definitely my fault for not being completely 'clear' with my post (something my wife accuses me of ALL the time). I was actually combing thoughts in one effort. The pic was simply the easiest way for me to depict the hilltop landing scenario properly.....my other thought was about building the 'Guns-a-go-go' ship..........

my bad.

next time I'll spend more time trying to get it right pard'

Tread.

PostScript: Oops.....almost forgot, you asked about my Monitor Project didn't you? Well, I will try to post some pics of my progress tomorrow, but to answer your question.....I've decided to build the Tango boat instead. Since I really wanted to include a Huey along with my BWN boat I needed to build the first boat with the helo pad installed. Believe me, I've done a significant amount of research (still not done) on the boats and have (I feel) gotten a pretty good handle on the basic construction of these nifty watercraft.......also, my work on the Tango will only aid me in building the Monitor later (a decent enough amount of similarities).
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, April 25, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
Tread,
No problem. I personally like the ATC-H better myself anyways. Can't wait to see it. Someday, I plan on doing both a Monitor and an ATC-H too. Someday....
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 02:39 AM UTC
Howdy Gino,

Yeah, I've become more of a fan of the Tango boats after doing my research. The Monitor configuration has generally been my favourite because of it's uniquness, but after doing some deeper research, the sheer variety of configurations of the ATC (H) hull is very intriguing.
All the way back to the French's use of the boat all the way thru to the Vietnamese's versions after we handed them all over to them......
Besides that, creating a dio that depicts both a 1/35th scale Tango boat (it's turning out quite large) sitting in the murky brown water of the Mekong, with a Seawolf Huey making a touch down on the helo pad I think would definitely be a headturner at the next modeling contest......don't you?

Tread.

As I said, I'll try to post some pics of my meager progress later today............
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 02:56 AM UTC
Gordo, I think the Tango would look great. I have wanted to do one for some time, since I saw Jack Carrico's boats over at Riverine Force Productions a few years ago. You are peaking my interests again. I may have to get another LCM(3) and start building one. Man, you are throwing my projects list all out of wack. I was planning on doing a few 1/35 UH-60s next. One as a USAF Pavehawk, one UH-60A from Grenada and one UH-60A MedEvac. We shall see. Can't wait to see your pics.
 _GOTOTOP