_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Swedish aircraft of the 50's -Spitfire S31etc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
Below, you'll find a couple of pics of my first attempts at modelling for over 20 years! It's all 1/72.

Some detailing remains. Must add antennas, etc!

The S31 is the latest addition. Arguably the most beautiful plane ever. (I should have moved the camera window... Maybe I'll do that later...)

During detailing...

The aircrafts are
GREEN: J28 Vampire (Airfix oob - ok except for lousy decals. 1st kit in over 20 years, 1st airbrush)
SILVER: J26 Mustang (Airfix oob - no worries. 1st attempt at NMF, Humbrol Metalcote. Nice finish but will not dry!)
YELLOW: Sk16 Texan/Harvard (Academy's Texan - very nice, national markings etc from Flying colors, Tamiya's yellow, exhaust pipe and "erroneous" canopy from CMK. 1st attemt at weathering/wash/panel lines, 1st vacuum canopy)
BLUE: S31 Spitfire PR XIX (Fujimi's XIV - Better than I thought, PRU Blue from Xtracrylics, beautiful - but almost useless! - decals from Maestro Decals = dry and broken. 1st attempt at preshading, 1st rescribing of panels, 1st detaing of cockpit)

Pretty colorful collection, eh?

Any suggestions for my next color? Sweden had some orange ambulance aircraft (for snowy conditions), and I might just build one of those for the Medics-campaign...

Comments are indeed welcome!

OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 10:29 AM UTC
Good show buddy.

Is the T-6 the Academy kit?

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 - 06:26 PM UTC
Thanks!

Yes, it's the Academy T6-G Texan with a few minor conversions (see above). Here's a couple of additional pictures.

I had to spray more than 5 layers of yellow before I was pleased. But I think it came out pretty nice (I love colorful models!) This was my first real try at wheathering and using an oil-based wash for panel lines etc.

Glad you liked it!!!

OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 01:19 AM UTC
Oh yeah, I like your Texan very much!

That's way better than I can do in 1/48!

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 11:14 PM UTC
Sure! I saw your Thunderbolt, which was very nice!! I really liked the camo!

This, together with a couple of some other examples, made me decide that my next project would be a Swedish P-47D. Sweden had an option to purchase either the P-51 or the P-47, but decided for the Mustang. Thus, no Thunderbolt actually served in the Swedish Airforce. But what if...?

Heres a picture of the project that I started yesterday! (It's also going to be my entry for the "double take" campaign).

OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
Excellent!

Can't wait to see it done!

PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 11:06 PM UTC
Just painted it with Alclad II (first try - excellent result)! I'll make a seperate post once I'm done!

Cheers
 _GOTOTOP