_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
I spotted a little gull the other day . . .
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 - 03:59 PM UTC
Actually, my airbrush spotted it !

This is Classic Airframes 1/48 Polikarpov I-153 Chaika (Gull in Russian).
The base coat is Alcad Aluminum, sprayed over Future. I used no primer, and I like the looks of it. The paint, when dry, is more reflective. After painting the spots with Model Master Russian Topside Green enamel, the little bird was Futured.
I started this kit back around '98, and put it back in the box for some reason. After I had the fuselage and wings together, I found pics on the web that show the cockpit color as blue, similar to Russian Underside blue. Oh, well. Ya live, ya learn. This aircraft, wearing the same markings as the kit, had much larger patches of green than the kit suggests. I like the way it looks, so that's how I painted mine. The tires, but not the wheels, have been painted. I attached them because the gear looks a little fragile. The prop is tacked in place because it looks better with it.

In the pic below, you can see the size of this little gull. Our "universal modeler's measure" (#11 blade) is next to it.

This is a nice, relaxing build after all the work of my three nightfighter project !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
Very nice Bill, I will have to get one of these
Mal
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 28, 2005 - 01:05 PM UTC
Thanks Mal !

This was one of Classic Airframes first kits (#96 406), so it might be difficult to find. Recently, they released a Polikarpov I-15 which is very similar, but differs in having fixed gear. I'm not sure about the parts. This one includes limited-run injection molded plastic, resin, photoetch, and a vac canopy. The representation of the ribbing below the fabric surface is very well done, especially considering the type (short life) of molds they used. I only wish they had included brass tube for the exhaust stubs.

Thanks again !
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
Hi Bill

I've got one of these little beasts on the shelf and if it turns out half as good as yours I'll be happy!

As regards the interior; I'm wading through a wonderful book on Soviet colours... for the I-153, at least 3 interior schemes are listed (including AII Blue), plus factory variations - so you may have been right first time!

All the best

Rowan
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 12:14 PM UTC
Thanks Rowan !
It's a neat little kit. Attaching the instrument panel and cannons takes a little patience. Other than that, the fit has been very good for a limited run kit.

I got the decals on the I-153 Chaika (Gull) yesterday. After having to put what seemed like hundreds on my recent Luftwaffe builds, it was refreshing to have only EIGHT decals total for this little bird ! Unfortunately, they're translucent. I have no other decals with the same stars or numbers, so I may have to use a sharp brush, steady hands, and some red paint.

The decals will be sealed with Future if and when I do the touchup (got to mix the matching shade of red).
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 07:04 PM UTC
Hi Bill

Thanks for the heads-up on the translucent decals - I'll put a note in with my kit to remind me when the time comes.

All the best

Rowan
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 12:44 AM UTC
Rowan - I can't remember seeing aftermarket decals for the I-153. With no unit insignias, it would be very easy to use some generic stars and numbers. I'm sure you can find a scheme in your book that appeals to you. As for me, I'm off to hone a fine point on my brush.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 02:06 AM UTC
Hello Bill,

It's a great little plane to see! I like the red stars and markings contrasting the alu and green.

PAUL
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 06:55 AM UTC
Thanks Paul !

I sharpened my little paintbrush, thinned some Model Master Insignia Red, and started painting. SAVED IT !
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 07:38 AM UTC
Nice job Bill!

_GOTOTOP