_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Reviving Classic Airframe's "Claude"
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 12:18 PM UTC
I started this kit a couple years ago, then put it back in the box for some reason. The cockpit sidewalls set the instrument panel too far forward, so I cut back the sidewalls. I also added a seat height adjustment lever from wire and tube. I read somewhere at j-aircraft that not all Japanese aircraft of this period (China, 1930s) were fitted with belts. My pilot would be one of these daredevils.
The engine has pushrods made from solder, and ignition wires from fine copper wire.

I installed the cockpit in the Claude today, one piece at a time rather than assembling it first. This assured that everything aligned and fit in the right place. I needed to paint the fuselage interior and part of the inside lower wing with the cockpit color, since these could be seen once the cockpit was installed.
The wing halves had been glued, and they resulted in a "step" at the fillet, and large gaps front and rear. I scraped, filed, and sanded the wing top to match the fillet before it was glued to the fuselage. I filled the large gaps with CA, and the smaller ones with Krystal Kleer (white glue). The wheel spats needed to have their tops sanded to match the wing contour. They were CAd in place, and white glue was used on the small gaps.
The vertical tail also needed filling with CA.
Here she is, ready for the paintbooth this weekend:

The airframe will be primed with Future, in preparation for Alcad II Aluminum.

Thanks for letting me share this build with you also !
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
Very nice!

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, April 29, 2005 - 10:21 PM UTC
Looking great Bill. What is the reason for priming with Future, is it to give the smoothest surface possible, for the Allclad?
Mal
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 30, 2005 - 12:54 AM UTC
Thanks Olivier and Mal !

Mal - Alcad II is a lacquer. Without a primer, it will craze the plastic. I have their gray primer, which is what they suggest for the majority of their colors. The shade of gray is very similar to the plastic, so it's difficult for me to tell when i have good coverage. I had to sand, reprime, and repaint a 1/48 B-29 bombay once. I try not to make the same mistake twice.
Their black primer is the smoothest, glossiest paint I've ever used. It is suggested for their polished aluminum and chrome shades. I sprayed their regular aluminum over it once, and it cracked in numerous places. The primer was left to dry for about a week, so it wasn't shrinkage.
By using Future, the plastic is protected. It also gives more reflections to the paint. Since this will be overcoated with clear amber, I want the metal to reflect underneath. My other current build, the Polikarpov, had its Alcad applied this way.

Thanks again !
 _GOTOTOP