_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Progress on Classic Airframes kits
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 10:46 AM UTC
I got a bit of work done this weekend.
The decals on the Polikarpov I-153 were touched up with a #000 brush. These were translucent when I applied them.

Mitsubish A5M "Claude"
When I went to remove the resin aileron actuators from the pour stub, I heard a ZING, and there was no more actuator (insert choice words here). I made replacements from wedges of scrap resin, wire, and tube. I actually like the looks of these better than the resin ones.
The tail was painted with Model Master Insignia Red. The entire airframe was sprayed with Future as a primer for the Alcad Aluminum. A couple places were oversprayed with Dark Aluminum. I then mixed Gunze Clear Yellow with Future and Isopropyl Alcohol, and oversprayed the Aluminum.
There were reports of pilots seeing "gold-colored" Claudes. It is believed that the aluminum was coated with a varnish which yellowed. Some say it never existed at all. I don't care. I like the way it looks !

These are a couple of FUN builds !
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 10:57 AM UTC
So, you're the man with a golden Claude?

:-) :-)
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 09:28 PM UTC
Very nice Bill, a very interesting colour scheme on the Claude and a very well done (as usual) camo on the I-153. Love it
Mal
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 12:01 AM UTC
Thanks Olivier and Mal !

Olivier - I'd rather be that than "The Man with the Golden Arm" (Frank Sinatra as a junkie) or "The Man with the Golden Gun" (007 flick) !

Mal - even with all my Luftwaffe stuff, these are pretty colorful.

Thanks again !
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:38 AM UTC
Hi Bill

Neat work re-touching those stars and numerals!

If I remember an old FSM article correctly, the US also used a clear yellow protective coat on some exposed n/m interiors, so the "gold" could well have been the result of something like that... whatever, it does look VERY cool!

All the best

Rowan
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 10:08 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan !

I've found some wartime B&W pics of several Claudes, including this particular one. The NMF does appear "tinted." Whatever the case, I like it. And that's what matters.
I started to apply the decals today, and WOW ! They really add a lot to the visual impact of this aircraft. I almost can't wait to finish (but I remember how my impatience ruined many a model when I was a kid).

Thanks again !
 _GOTOTOP