_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Arii F6F-3 Hellcat "Quickbuild" I did for an
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
IPMS/USA review article that I finished up today. The reveiw was for "Gator's Masks", which are a commercial masking set for National Insignia, etc. Pretty neat stuff, actually! The reveiw will be on IPMS/USA's website in a week or two.Anyways, the kit is the old Arii Hellcat, with a True Details interior shaved down and stuffed in. Also has TD weighted wheels and AeroMaster decals (Hellcats Pt.II).I also replaced the .50 cals with hypodermic needle barrels.Painting the Nat. Insignias gave me the opportunity to play around with some heavy weathering/fading recipes,and this was a fun build to just do over a couple of days. And, you can never have enough Grummans, can you?

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:11 AM UTC
Wonderful James, love it I reckon this is the way to go, painting the national insignia and codes etc.
What have you used for the carrier deck? I'm particularly interested in the length and width of the deck planks.
And I must agree, along with never having enough Spitfires lots of Grummans are definately a good thing
This looks as if it should be entered in the May MOM
Mal
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 04:56 AM UTC
Nice job! and yes you cam never have enough.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 06:05 AM UTC
Hi James

That looks very neat indeed! - and, if you fancy writing a review of the masks for Armorama too...

Like Mal, I'm also interested in the deck, because it looks like I'll have to tackle something along these lines for the Flat-tops Campaign.

All the best

Rowan
OllieC-FWOL
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 446 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 07:39 AM UTC
Good show, she's a nice little 'Cat!

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 09:41 AM UTC
Outstanding James. The weathering is excellent. The grime on the prop hub and the exhaust stains are very realistic. Great build. That is a MOM entry. By the way, if you live close to King of Prussia in Pennsylvania you might want to try to attend the MFCA show this Saturday at the Valley Forge convention center, right off the turnpike. It actually starts Friday but we're going on Saturday. It has outstanding figures plus armor and aircraft sections. Again, great build,Wingman out.
BigTon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC
really wonderful James!
I think I'll have to look into those masks!
-scott
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 08:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wonderful James, love it I reckon this is the way to go, painting the national insignia and codes etc.
What have you used for the carrier deck? I'm particularly interested in the length and width of the deck planks.
And I must agree, along with never having enough Spitfires lots of Grummans are definately a good thing
This looks as if it should be entered in the May MOM
Mal

Thank You Mal! The flight deck is a resin piece from Just Plane Stuff. Each "plank" measures out to 1/8" x 3". The whole deck section is 10" x 12". I've had it for abou 2 1/2 years, and it's been under many a plane!
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2005 - 08:31 PM UTC
Cap'N Jock, Merlin, Ollie-C, WingMan, and Big Ton;

Thanks for the kind words!! These masks were easy to use. The prop hub was painted in Alclad II, and included with the oil wash I put on the landing gear.

King of Prussia, unfortunately, is on the opposite side of the state...I'm a little north of Pgh.Have fun at the show!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 06:23 AM UTC
Thanks James, I can now construct my carrier base, I have WEM etched tie downs, just couldn't find out the size of the planks (not even in the Ships forum).
I now have thought of another question i know that American carrier decks were staind blue but do you know if the tie downs were painted blue?
Thanks.
Mal
CPTKelley
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 10:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks James, I can now construct my carrier base, I have WEM etched tie downs, just couldn't find out the size of the planks (not even in the Ships forum).
I now have thought of another question i know that American carrier decks were staind blue but do you know if the tie downs were painted blue?
Thanks.
Mal

Hey Mal, glad I could help! I'l see if I can find some tiedown info for you. I'm also going to tweak the reveiw I wrote and submit it for Armorama considertion.
 _GOTOTOP