_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Claude gets some decals
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 02:33 PM UTC
I finished putting the decals on my 1/48 Classic Airframes Claude today, and WOW ! I thought it was colorful before ! The decals are beauties, printed by Micro Scale. Aligning the fuselage stripes was tedious, but they fit perfectly. This is, without a doubt, the nicest limited run kit I've ever had the pleasure to build. There's still quite a bit of work left to be done, but I can't keep this pretty little bird to myself any longer ! Hope you like it too.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 03:29 PM UTC
Bill, gotta love those japanese schemes. Very colorful in deed. Any problems with the build? Since this was a limited run kit, was there much flash to deal with? Thanks. "Q"
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:46 AM UTC
Thanks Matthew !

The only thing I encountered that came as a surprise was the cockpit's resin sidewalls. If you use them as is, the instrument panel will sit too far forward. I cut them back to the point shown in the pic below.

There was flash, but not nearly as much as you'd expect to see on a 1/48 MPM or LTD kit. The separate vertical stabilizer joins at an odd place, and cleanup of the seam is a bit more work. There aren't any locating pins, and the horizontal stabilizers are butt-joints. If you're used to limited run kits, this one is pretty clean.

Thanks again !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 07:18 AM UTC
It sure is a good looking bird
Bill are you not tempted to paint on the markings? Japanese meatballs must be one of the easiest type to mask and paint and it might actually be easier to mask and paint the fuselage stripes.
Decals do look good.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP