_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
French Fighter, MS-406
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC

France's most numerous fighter for WWII with 12 Groupes de Chasse, the Français contemporary of the Hawker Hurricane without Hawker's success. Its only attribute was pleasant handling, otherwise an obsolescent "better than nothing" void-filler for Arme'e de l'Air.

Seriously lacking power even when the Hispano-Suiza 12Y 31 was not overheating due to the weird retracting radiator, with unlocking main gear popping out during positive G, the aesthetically lacking, anemically armed machine started many Luftwaffe aces on their way to stardom.

Note that though France bought several hundred Hawk-75 export P-36s from the USA, and the Hawks made up only a couple of squadrons, they accounted for a full quarter of all French kills during the Blitzkrieg.

This is Hobbycraft's 1/48 kit. It is as much a dog as the real airplane was. The best I can say about it is HC did a great job with a great idea of molding the upper wing to include the root and fillet up into the fuselage. That aside, everything is marginal, including research. What I thought were 20mm in each wing, what HC included for each wing, these aren't there. It is a pitot tube and there was only one. Now there was a Vichy MS-410, perhaps it was up-gunned.

The D-520 notwithstanding, the best to be said is that pre-surrender French aircraft are pretty with their camouflage and markings.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 06:14 AM UTC
I need to find out where this is packed and bring her out into daylight again!
 _GOTOTOP