Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:17 AM UTC
Here you are Harri :-) Bet you thought I wouldn't do it :-)
This is "Historic Plastic Models" 1/48 Blohm & Voss BV 141B. An unusual and interesting aircraft which I believe was developed for the reconnaisence roll. I think the Focke Wolfe FW 189 eventually took on this roll. As you can see the main cabin is moulded in clear plastic, which is quite a good idea because of the amount of glazing. However it presents it's own unique problems, in as much as some of the glazing crosses the join line and this join will be seen if left as is. My solution for this problem is to cut out and file to shape the glasing panels that overlap the join and reinstate them after joining the gondola halves. How I'm going to do this I'm not sure, at the moment I'm thinking of using Krystel Kleer?

I had actually started this a couple of years ago. Well I had made one part cut into the side of one glazing panel. I only had a razor saw and realised that it wasn't really fine enough for the job. I mentioned this kit to Harri (Jetprovost) at work and he said he would rather see this done than the Stormovick I started a few days ago. I made a deal with him, I do this BV 141 and he is going to do an article that will be a bit different and you are going to enjoy. OK Harri, not only have I started to keep my half of the bargin but I have told the world as well :-)
(Thinks..........How the hell will I fit this in with all the others ...................should have kept my big gob shut )
Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 07:47 AM UTC
Hi Oldfast!

I too have this kit in my stash and will probably build it... one day! I think this one really is a "morceau de bravoure" for everyone and I guess I willl wait a little to deal with it!

I wish you good luck!
jetprovost
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 07:07 AM UTC
Ooo-er, better start writing!

Just remember Mal, there aren't any bits missing, it's meant to look like that!! :-)

I am looking forward to seeing this one finished though!

Harri
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 07:31 AM UTC
The hardest part of this kit is going to be the masking of the gondola and cleaning the parts to get a good fit. I wont be able to use my normal method of masking canopies, Parafilm-M, because the windows are outlined with fine raised lines. I will have to resort to lengths of tape to define the edges, then fill in. With Parafilm it would be a dodle, the tape method will take forever. There is other work that can be done, so I will do a bit of masking and a bit of cleaning up and building. I started on the fuselage halves this evening, I didn't realise how big this thing actually is. Without the engine egg, the fuselage is 9.5" long (FW 190D-9 is 2.5" shorter).

Quoted Text

I am looking forward to seeing this one finished though!

Yes, me too. I will try and get it into the MOM before the end of the year
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Nice to this kit finally getting the limelight!

Ironically, I was looking at the same kit the other week and debating whether to start it! We always think alike! With my record, it's probably best that I picked something else...

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this build goes - kits like this add so much extra interest to our hobby.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 08:40 AM UTC
Yes Rowan we certainly do seem to think alike. It's quite a nice kit, although relatively expensive (£19.99), but it is, I believe, limited run. There is a small etch fret with film instruments and the cockpit is fairly well appointed. There is a surprising amount of info on the net, mainly pictures. I have gathered some good interior shots, so I might do a little scratch building in the interior. The engraving on the fuselage is poor, compared to the wings, but it shouldn't take much to re-scribe, using my EEZEE method I have decided that the gondola glazing needs poloishing and I have come up with a method that, hopefully preserves the raised detail. It means I will have to polish each pane individually, a real pain, but I can do one a day at work for a couple of months :-) (during break before you get any ideas that I might be sciving). I'll put up some pics, when I have them.
I'm also thinking that I will paint on the markings, should be simple enough
Mal
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2005 - 10:33 AM UTC
Wow this is some 1/48th kit... How much is the kit in US Dollars$$$ ?

Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, May 23, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
Hi Mal

i never got round to making a proper start to the kit but, like you, I decided the clear fuselage halves needed polishing. It made a big difference; they actually polished up quite quickly and easily and the frames are engraved deeply enough not to disappear in the process.

All the best

Rowan
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 12:58 PM UTC
Any update on this build?
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 12, 2014 - 05:58 PM UTC
Tamiya Model Magazine has news that Hobbyboss will also be releasing a 1/48 BV 141. Might be an interesting alternative.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 02:56 AM UTC
Mal,
I'll be following your build if for no other reason then it's a 1/48 scale model. I've never seen a clear fuselage or part of one before, so it's certainly going to be rather interesting to say the least.

Joel
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi there

Don't forget this thread is 9 years old. Mal may have finished the build or put it out to pasture many years ago.

The new HobbyBoss kit is already available (see the Postman thread) but does seem to have some issues of its own.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 05:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi there

Don't forget this thread is 9 years old. Mal may have finished the build or put it out to pasture many years ago.

The new HobbyBoss kit is already available (see the Postman thread) but does seem to have some issues of its own.

All the best

Rowan,
I never looked, just assumed it was a new thread for a new build.
Joel

Rowan

Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 06:20 AM UTC
I have the kit myself. I remember opening the box and saying, "Oh, this is interesting," then putting it away.

"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din," for taking it on. Will follow this with interest.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have the kit myself. I remember opening the box and saying, "Oh, this is interesting," then putting it away.

"You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din," for taking it on. Will follow this with interest.

Brian,
Rowan just posted that this thread was from 9 years ago. There isn't any build. Don't feel too bad, I also posted about following it.

BTW, I haven't heard anyone refer to Gunga Din in ages. I still remember that movie.
Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 04:29 PM UTC
A build lost in the Twilight Zone of Cyberspace, I guess!
Thx for heads up.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 05:50 PM UTC
Mmmmm, thanks for resurrecting this thread I think that I sold the kit when I had to thin out my stash when I moved I didn't get very much further with it; at the time I had 30+ models on the go and it was just to much like hard work to deal with polishing the glazing and I had subjects that I wanted to build.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 13, 2014 - 08:43 PM UTC
No chance of getting back to the wonderful Bv 141 Mal?
 _GOTOTOP