_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
2nd A/C group build announcement
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 10:21 AM UTC
Hi guys and gals,
Just wanted to let everyone know that Yodaman and I have come up with the guidelines for the next aircraft group build. Here they are:

1.) 1:48 scale Tamiya F4U-1Corsair with Moto Tug ( tug does not have to be built )
2.) any aftermarket detail sets and/or decals are allowed.
3.) The build will begin on January 1, 2003
4.) Deadline for the build to end is May 1, 2003.

I'm posting this alittle early so everyone can go ahead and get the kit and the detail sets they need before hand. If anyone has a gripe about the kit in this build, the only other choice you have is any other 48 scale Tamiya Corsair. No exceptions. Yoda and I have agreed that the idea of a group build is for all participants to build the same kit ,so everyone can see how different every plane will be when finished.

If anyone has any questions please send either Yoda or myself a PM...

Happy Modeling !!!!!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 11:30 AM UTC
I'm glad we build the 8th grade level armor kits for our group build. You a/c guys chose the graduate level kits. I'd be afraid to put glue to plastic on an a/c kit that nice. Must be why I have a big stash of unbuilt Accurate Miniatures kits.

I will build my Tamiya Brewster Buffalo someday though!
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 11:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm glad we build the 8th grade level armor kits for our group build. You a/c guys chose the graduate level kits. I'd be afraid to put glue to plastic on an a/c kit that nice. Must be why I have a big stash of unbuilt Accurate Miniatures kits.

I will build my Tamiya Brewster Buffalo someday though!

So... Does that mean you're in?
#:-)

I'm looking forward to see how all the corsairs look when they're done! We're sure to see a lot of variety in paint schemes, decals, weathering, weapon loads, etc...
16 days until I can order my Corsair! Looking at detail sets now...

Here's a few links related to the Corsair we're using for the build:
ArmoramA's story
Tamiya's coverage
The kit at Squadron.com
A few other webstores have the kit, but Squadron has the best price!

YodaMan
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 02:04 PM UTC
I don't believe that I finally give in to my a/c building bug. Count me in. I always love the Corsair. But please cut me some slack, as this will be my first a/c after many many many years....... And I will ask a lot of questions!
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 02:07 PM UTC
By the way, since I am allowed to do any Tamiya 48 F4U, can I do the one with the spinning propellers, looked like something fun.....
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 02:09 PM UTC
Penny & Yoda; what happened to the Pro-Modeller build that was discussed a few weeks ago? I was looking forward to building a JU-88.
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 04:04 PM UTC
Hi Penny/Yoda,

I ditto Chief's post. Sorry, but I think I can't take part in this build . I do have a Birdcage Corsair, but it's a Hasegawa, and in 1/72 scale.

I thought we'd be going in for a Ju-88, any make or any scale and OOB. Had an AMT/ERTL and an MPC 1/72 in stock, but I think I'll carry on with that anyway laterz.

Right now, I have finished the first group build kit of an Academy 1/72 F6F-5 Hellcat, and will be posting the pics by the weekend . I have also started on an Academy 1/72 B24 D Liberator "Blonde Bomber", and it should be done in about 6 weeks.

So enjoy your Corsairs, folks, and all the best for the new build !

Rgds,
BP.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 - 08:40 PM UTC
:-) Count me in. I think it's a good idea to all do the same kit, research and any problems can be shared much more easily. Although I was looking forward to doing a JU-88, I do like the corsair.
My only problem, at the moment, is no digital camera so posting pics will be a bit difficult.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 09:51 AM UTC
Hey guys,
One reason we decided on the Tamiya Corsair was that it was really accessable to everyone everywhere. I love to build Bf109's as much as the next guy, but "Pappy" Boyington has always been my hero.....

Doing the two builds at the same time is a good idea....
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 11:00 AM UTC
Corsairs and January 1st, hmmmmm - count me in! That'll give me plenty of time to wrap-up the Skyray and get a Corsair kit...

Gunnie
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 12:05 PM UTC
Welcome abaord everyone!
To get the research started, here's a link with some great Corsair pics:
Kiwi Aircraft Images

Quoted Text

Penny & Yoda; what happened to the Pro-Modeller build that was discussed a few weeks ago? I was looking forward to building a JU-88.

I think we decided to see how different the same plane would look, built by different people. Not to see who's is 'better', but to see the different approaches to a/c construction. :-)

I really should hurry up and finish my Corsair for the current build!!! Three weeks left!
... three weeks? I can put it off for another 13 days... #:-)

YodaMan
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 12:15 PM UTC
another Corsair?.....Interesting...........

YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 10:26 AM UTC
Looking good, ModelGuy!!! Was that the plane you made for this build, or was it a different project?
::::sigh:::: I now know that a single color paint scheme for my corsair would've looked as good the three-color one I'm working on...

YodaMan
modelguy2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 818 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 02:25 PM UTC
It's a Minicraft 4B. Yoda. I am consideting the -1d now though.............Mike T
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 03:49 AM UTC
:-) Is this Corsair build still on? Anyway on or not I've started. Here's a pic of the results so far. Was going well but because I want to show the wings folded I'm trying to sort out the soft molding at the join of the 2 halves of the middle flaps, which will be seen with the wings up. I've filed down the join, added thin plastic sheet and I'm in the process of re-definning the detail. I hope to have the outer wings joined soon and the wing fold mechanism cleaned up.

I will be using instrument decals on the instrument panel.
Mal
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 07:58 AM UTC
Yeah to Corsair build is still on. I'm not sure how many are going to be in the thing though. I'm gonna do this one plus the Luftwaffe build as well. Glad to see at least I'm not the only one....lol
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 08:36 AM UTC
I'm kinda participating in the 2nd Corsair build... I'm going to finish my Corsair from the first build!!! #:-)

Comstroction has started on my Bf-109 for the Luft. build... but with the Abrams in progress and my speeder for the sci-fi campaign, I won't get to far.

YodaMan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 09:51 AM UTC
:-) Well YodaMan, I've got 3 Bf 109s and a Ju87 started for the Luftwaffe group build, plus this Corsair. I've got the outer wing panels glued together and the wing fold cleaned up. I'll post pics tomorrow, when there's some light.

Anyone smell bacon?

13 Jan 03 Not been able to take those pics yet.
ponysoldier
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 223 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 01:45 PM UTC
Well count me in on this one. ive just started we"ll see how it goes.
looking forward to seeing all the different styles.

Ponysoldier
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 08:37 PM UTC
:-) I've not been able to take any more pics as my "photographic studio" requires sun light and it's been dull and over cast for days. So I thought I would post an up date anyway. Outer wing panels are together, I've improved the gun tubes, they're quite distinctive on Corsairs, the middle flaps are now sorted so I just need to clean up all the other bits to be sprayed interior green and we are off to the spry booth.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 09:25 PM UTC
:-) The pic that would have gone in the post above. I have also boxed in the shell ejection ports.

I attempted to take a pic of the work to the gun tubes and shell ejection slots but it didn't come out to well. I will try again for the next time.
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
:-) Just an update. Have'nt got much done, been concentrating on finishing my F6F Hellcat, see the Rivet Review Board.

These are the canopy pieces, masked with Parafilm M and painted the interior colour. I've masked and painted both sliding portions, so I can choose the version I'm doing later. Only took about 10 minutes extra to mask the second one.

This next one is an overall shots of the interior parts painted and with a coat of Klear, in preperation for the wash.

Mal
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 05:46 AM UTC
Looking good Hold
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 06:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looking good Hold

Hi Penny,
Going slow though, I had hoped to have those parts washed and the instrument panel decalled and painted, but no joy. Been finishing the decals on my Sea Fury (see the Rivet Review Board) and doing some sanding on the 3 Amigos. :-)
Mal
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 08:57 AM UTC
Interior finally got a wash. Sprayed with Klear then artist oil colour, warm grey and black, thinned with white spirit :-)

When er if I can leave Armorama dry brushing is next then tha black areas then instruments, more drybrushing then details.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP