_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Really Basic Question
SgtStriker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC
Okay, I'll start with a bit of backstory. I'm currently building a Spad 13 from Academy and the fit of the fuselage is lousy. I already gave up on Academy's Late model Spit for the same reason. When i try to dry fit the two sides, they do not connect, I.E when i put the front joiner pin (right term?) in place, the back of the fuselage slides out of alignment. I've already sanded down both sides, so its not flash thats preventing the alignment. I have some putty but having never used it, and being informed by the highly expert forum users here that it is not the correct type, i'm reluctant to use it. As, well the spine of the aircraft is corrugated and the putty would ruin the effect. Is there anything else I could try instead of making due and trying to cover the cracks with putty?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 05:06 PM UTC
Hi Jared!

Could you send a picture of your problem! It would be easier to give you the appropriate answer... I'm sure there is one!

What kind of putty are you using?

Jean-Luc
SgtStriker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 29 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 05:33 PM UTC
I'll try to lay my hands on a digital camera so i can get a picture of the problem. The putty is Testor's "Contour putty" that comes in a gray tube.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 22, 2005 - 09:11 PM UTC
If the alignment pins don't actually align the fuselage halves then it usually best to sand them off. It can be a good idea to flat sand things like fuselage halves anyway. By "flat sand" I mean via a sheet of emery paper taped to a sheet of glass, or other flat surface. You have to make sure that you sand evenly and that one, or both of the halves don't detail for the the other half (like a full rudder on one half and none in the other) otherwise you will ruin that detail.
A pic would help clarify the problem.
If puttying close to detail, lay down masking tape (close to the area to be puttied), apply putty, lift tape (removes excess putty) lay down more tape (up to the edges of the putty) sand putty when dry.
A better method: Apply putty, remove eccess with a cotton bud dipped in Isopropynol (surface cleaner)or nail varnish remover (if you use that kind of thing :-) )
Here I have combinde both these methods:

Images taken from my FW190D-9 on-line build
HERE
Mal
 _GOTOTOP