_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Another Newbie finds this site
dhlesq
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 04:06 PM UTC
Hi there, I'm another newbie to modeling and finding this site has been wonderful.
I've done a lot of reading here and I wanted to thank everyone who contributes because the information posted here is invaluable.

I got the bug to build a model so I went to the hobby store I used to visit many years ago.

I picked up a Revell 1:48 F9F-5 Panther and couldn't wait to get it home.
Got home, got laughed at by the wife (it's okay, i knew it was coming ) and then I started to examine what was in the box.

First of all it came with a booklet entitled "Jet Fighters of the US Navy - Part 1". At first I thought this was kind of silly, but after reading it through I think it was really a nice addition, especially for a newb. It also has a fair amount of pictures which is nice as well.

Second thing I noticed was a plastic bag containing 4 gray sprues, one of which was broken. This does not appear to be a problem because none of the parts are damaged.

Third thing I noticed was a number of cracked loose clear pieces. It appears that the clear sprue was not bagged and got pretty much destroyed. This was kind of diappointing but a trip to the revell website got the parts reordered for a small shipping fee (which for some reason I am categorically opposed to).

After looking at the decals and reading through the instructions it hit me. . . . I have a lot more reading to do before I even start if I want this to come out looking halfway decent. I've started reading through Thomas Kolb's Introduction to Model Building, which I highly recommend, and I am going to use these message boards liberally.

Thanks to everyone for their input, and I hope to report back on my progress if I ever get out of my newbie analysis paralysis.

Cheers.

Dave
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 04:25 PM UTC
Welcome. The Panthe has always been onr of my fave a?c since I saw my almos namesake (Ted Williams) in the cockpit and the movie "Bridges at oko Ri" lo these amny years ago. Hey, my man, if it looks good to you, that's all that really matters.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 04:25 PM UTC
Dave, welcome to ArmoramA and welcome back to the hobby. The forums here have a wealth of information as do the many people who visit and contribute to them so please ask questions when you need to. Good luck on that Panther!
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 05:23 PM UTC
Welcome, Dave. I think you'll find this site to be your home away from home. If it has to do with modelling, the answers are here somewhere.

I'm just back into the hobby myself, and got back in with aircraft, like yourself. After a while, I found armor a good challange. But, I go back between the two. I love the Panther. That, and the Me262, are my favorite jets. You keep at it though, and before long, you'll be requesting info on somthing with wheels or tracks...those dio's need targets too, ya' know.

Welcome.

Mike

mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 12:39 AM UTC
Welcome Dave. You can't go wrong with this site. Lots of great people and info. If it wasn't for people like Tin-Can, I would not have gotten my Tomcat finished on time. If you need it, these guys can find it. If it doesn't fit, they can help you fit it. Good luck with the Panther, Navy aircraft all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Mav
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 02:23 AM UTC
Hi Dave, I recently found this site and I agree with you, wonderful.

I build mainly WWII aircraft but I do like to dabble in early jets. I used to build targets but my passion is for all things that fly. :-)

What ever you need I'm sure that you will find it here.
Mal
dhlesq
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
So after posting last night I started doing a web search for anything related to the F9F-5.
I came up with a lot of good specification sheets, a number of black and white photos and several color photos as well. I also found pictures of other peoples build-ups of the same model kit.

My questions now are:

1) would it be a good idea to paint the interior portion of the fuselage with some basic color just in case it is visible once the model is constructed? I'm pretty sure some fuselage interior will be seen through the engine intakes, in the landing gear bays, and maybe even on the edges of the cockpit tub. My tendency is to go with the same color as will be used on the exterior but I just don't know if this is a good idea.

2) would it be worthwhile to look at aftermarket parts for this kit? I've seen a blackbox set that is focused on the cockpit tub, and I've seen something called Reheat but I don't know much about it.

Any help would be great. I know these questions aren't necessarily specific to this particular aircraft but I'm just trying to plan ahead a bit.

-David
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 11:54 AM UTC
Glad you found us, dhlesq Welcome aboard !!
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 12:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:

1) would it be a good idea to paint the interior portion of the fuselage with some basic color just in case it is visible once the model is constructed? I'm pretty sure some fuselage interior will be seen through the engine intakes, in the landing gear bays, and maybe even on the edges of the cockpit tub. My tendency is to go with the same color as will be used on the exterior but I just don't know if this is a good idea.

The interior surfaces would be a different color, usually zinc chromate green, a flat primer, Inside the engine area, you'd want to use a burnt metal look. Rule of thumb #1, if it might be seen, paint it. Rule of thumb #2, even if it can't be seen, paint it.

2) would it be worthwhile to look at aftermarket parts for this kit? I've seen a blackbox set that is focused on the cockpit tub, and I've seen something called Reheat but I don't know much about it.

Any help would be great. I know these questions aren't necessarily specific to this particular aircraft but I'm just trying to plan ahead a bit.

-David[/quote]

I think you said this was your first model, right? You might want to keep it simple, then. After market kits add a lot, but also increase the complexity of your prohect. They often require surgery to be added. There's nothing wrong about building out of box.
dhlesq
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 02:43 AM UTC
Thank you very much for the advice AJ.
Your rules of thumb on painting were exactly what I was lookimh for, and you make excellent points regarding use of aftermarket parts when you are just starting out.
retch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 03:44 AM UTC
Welcome Dave, I'm a new guy myself. About your clear pieces, all is not lost! Go here:

http://209.133.73.62/TnT/0001-1000/001-100/021-030/TNT021_Cyrstal_Clear_Canopies/tnt021.htm

In a very amusing (or slightly irritating) manner, I explain in this article how to restore clear pieces and how to paint and install canopies.
HTH!
Retch
 _GOTOTOP