_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Big 109 project
Ian2
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 07:34 PM UTC
SOme years ago at a toy fair, I picked up Matchbox'e Bf 109 in 1/32. Since then, work has progressed quite slowly (not aided by the fact that I've had to make some bits that were missing.

I dug it out again last night and did a bit more, mainly chopping down a couple of old Tamiya MG34 to make the fuselage mounted guns. OK they aren't dead accurate but they look identical and should suffice when painted and weathered.

One advantage of this venerable kit (it's about 6 or 7 years my junior) is the plastic is quite thick but easily sawn so lowering the flaps and opening the slats is viable. So far, I have done surgery on one wing which satisfies me that the operation is a feasible one.

One thing which is noticeable is while the detail is good for its time, there are a lot of small details absent that appear as standard on more recent kits. Then again, a bit of scribing and scratchbuilding should bring this old veteran up nicely.

As mentioned in another thread, FSM have a special issue out at the moment, all about Battle of Britain aircraft, which is proving a useful guide for adding all those missing details.

To finish it off, I fancy showing a maintenance scene, with mechanics working on the engine and guns and the pilot looking on. The difference in scale notwithstanding, I plan on adapting Tamiya's tank crew in overalls and tracking down their 1/35 Ace Pilot (the aircraft will be finished as one of Adolf Galland's).

Should I finish it before I turn 40, or go off on a tangent and start another 5 or 6 projects, I will endeavour to get some photographs done.

(Now I think of it, there's a Hase Spitfire VB that needs looking at as well...)

_GOTOTOP