_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Batplane
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 12:00 PM UTC
Just picked up the Polar Lights Batplane. Simple kit that brings back memories. I had always wanted one as a kid. I'm glad Polar Lights are re-releasing all those kits that I had or wanted as a kid.
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 12:34 PM UTC
I remember building the 'Batman Forever' batplane a while ago, when I was young and impatient. I must've slapped that thing together in 30 minutes! What a mess... smeared glue, ruined canopy, parts falling off...
It could've been pretty cool if I'd actually built it as a model and not something to play with. The model ended up in the trash probably no more than two weeks after I put it together. ::::sigh:::: the missed oppurtunities.
I also had the Batmobile, which was destined to the same fate. Never owned the Batboat, though.

YodaMan
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 02:16 PM UTC
You're a little off by a few decades, the Batplane I picked up is off of the 1960s comic book, not the movie.

I've got all the movie Bat-kits (vehicles, not vinyl figures). The first movie Batwing (Michael Keaton's plane) was the best kit, optional position landing gear, pop out Gatling gun, missiles, scissor clamp and Batman pilot. Too bad the Val Kilmer Batwing wasn't as nicely done. The Batboat was a nice kit too. Batman Returns had the coolest kits, with the Batskiboat and the Batmissile as well as a re-release of the first movie Batmobile with removable turbine engine.

Best detailed Batmobile kit was the Revell Batman and Robin single seat Batmobile. Even had bat symbols on the tire tread patterns. Very nicely done, but of course my favorite will always be my Imai Batman TV series Batmobile, with Keaton's Batmobile a close second.

Without looking at my kits (since they're 600 miles away), the list was:

Batman:
Joker Goon Car/Gotham Police Cruiser
Batmobile
Batmobile Armored Cocoon (mail-in special)
Batwing
Batmobile Power Wheel (1/32 scale motorized racer)

Batman Returns:
Batmobile w/removable engine
Batmissile (snap kit)
Batskiboat (snap kit)

Batman Forever:
Batmobile (Kilmer version)
Batboat
Batwing

Batman & Robin:
Batmobile (Clooney version)
Redbird Cycle

I would have loved to see a model of Mr. Freeze's ice vehicle and the big silver Batmobile ice machine from the last movie.
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 02:27 PM UTC
Here's an old link I found to the various Batmobiles used in TV & the movies: http://www.javelinamx.com/Batmobile/vehicles.htm
Kencelot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 03:53 PM UTC
I saw this a little while ago and thought it looked pretty cool. I passed an picking it up because it just would be "out-of-place" with my other models.
I found a very nice review on it over at Starship Modeler
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 12, 2002 - 07:51 PM UTC
I dont remeber exactly what issue it was but in a FSM from last year they had a article about building the batplane from the 40's out of a P-40 kit.The finished product is friggin awesome.

Personally my fav batmobile would have to be the animated series Batmobile or the Batman Forever one.Does anyone know where I can get the Animated series one by the way?
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
The animated series Batplane only came out in "Matchbox" scale (small diecast variant) and in a larger scale designed for their action figure line. I still have both kicking around in the kids' toybox at the house. The animated series vehicles had a very 50s retro look to them. I thought they were neat.

The P-40 Batlane was a cool looking conversion project wasn't it?
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 04:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw this a little while ago and thought it looked pretty cool. I passed an picking it up because it just would be "out-of-place" with my other models.
I found a very nice review on it over at Starship Modeler

Thanks for the link, my kit differs from the review kit in that my decals are waterslide and not self-adhesive stickers. They must have changed them during production. The kit fits into one of my first loves, comic books and superheroes. Mainly Batman and Robin (watched the TV show and original cartoon religiously as a kid) and my personal favorite, Spider-Man. I had the Aurora kits of Batman, Robin and Spider-Man as a kid and have the reissue Revell Robin kit as well as the Horizon current Robin #3, and both Horizon Spider-Man kits.
 _GOTOTOP