JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 11:00 AM UTC
Reading a VMF-214 article in Flight Journal, they show a photo I have on my wall, the photo of the Black Sheep standing on, and in front of, a F4U.

Ever notice the unrealistic misapplication of the national insignia? Under the right wing is the star with bar, under the left is just the star circle.
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 11:30 AM UTC
I think if you read further, you'll find that VMF-214 had no assigned aircraft, they flew what was available for action (typical for the USMC at the time). They fly in "special aircraft" for photo ops, painted for the occasion, even the much published photo of "Pappy" with "his" F4U, is not "his" F4U, but a photo op bird.

Even the famous "Pappy" Boyington didn't have an assigned aircraft.

Found this out while doing some F4U research myself, and was quite surprised.
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 02, 2005 - 01:07 PM UTC
Talked with a VF-17 pilot, similar story.

Each pilot was assigned responsibility (accountability, maintenenance, etc) for a specfic aircraft.
They flew in whatever was available.

The further you look into this, the more confusing it gets. Then you find the "photo-op" stuff ....

John

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 05:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

even the much published photo of "Pappy" with "his" F4U, is not "his" F4U, but a photo op bird.

Hi jRatz and CRS,

Affirmative. I love to see the profiles of "Pappy's Corsair". I read one of his last interviews a few months ago in which he commented about the photo ops. He said 'Even out there at the front they (USMC, DoD) were running a con'. I don't have the interview infront of me, but that is close. He wasrefering to correspondents for the home front. I take it as rather cynical.

Interesting to read in the "Aces of the..." books about so-and-so's personal aircraft, even when they were assigned, they could be flown as needed by others. Often, XXXXXX's aircraft with all of his personal markings and kills would be lost on a mission flown by other pilots.

Currently, I am reading RAISING HAVOC, by a 5th AF A-20 pilot. He eventually had one assigned to him, 354, but he and his crew chief couldn't come to terms about markings, so it didn't receive any. But it was 'his' (or, 'their') personal kite.
 _GOTOTOP