_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
FW190 F-8 SG2
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 11:09 AM UTC
Hi All!

Here's the first model I finished as "member" of Armorama.com! It's Revell's (Dragon) Focke-Wulf FW 190 G-8 converted to a F-8.

The kit was not easy to build, the fit beeing far from perfect! I made short run kits that went together like a dream compared to this one! In fact, I made an F-8 version because one landing gear door wasn't totally molded (see pict below), so I had no other option but to make a "Butcher" of SG2 with gear door partially removed.

to make this plane, I had to find a blown canopy in a Tamiya Fw190 A-3 kit, the headrest in a Revell FW 190 D-11 and the gear doors had to be made out of scratch... Pffiiiuuu!

As this was not meant to be an easy build, I had to redo the white camouflage on the wings because I totally screwed it up the first time

Are so many efforts worth it? Well, I'll leave it to your opinion!

Jean-Luc
Defcon1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
AeroScale: 132 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 11:30 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

Beautiful build of an Fw-190 Friedrich-8. Winter camos are very nice. Too bad for the doors. I better check mine too.

Cheers,
David
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 11:39 AM UTC
Hi David!

Thanks! The gear doors problem was actually a benefit as I didn't wanted to do a winter camo at first. I was "forced" to do so and this was a new experience for me! Sometimes the kit chooses for you! :-)

By the way, I think we're stuck in the "trivia", take a look!

Jean-Luc
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 03:37 PM UTC
Jean-Luc,

Great job you did on your Fw 190F-8!

I built one of those ex-Dragon mold Fw 190 kits last year and had a few problems building it but it turned out very good and is the best Fw 190 model I have made yet.
The worst problem I had was the plastic itself, it was very brittle and some small parts were cracked and broken while removing them from the sprue even though I was very careful in doing so.

Matrixone
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 06:22 PM UTC
Hi Les!

I didn't experienced the same problems as you with the plastic... only some parts wich weren't totally moulded. But the fit around the cowling-fuselage-wing root area is a real nightmare! You have to spread the fuselage away with plastic sprue to have a decent fit.
Despite all this fit issues, the overall accuracy and the detail of the kit is very good, it's just not an easy build!
I have also Tamiya's A-3, Fujimi's A-6/9, Tamiya's D-9, Revell's (Dragon?) D-11, Italeri's Ta 152H and the same kit in the Mistel S-2 box of Dragon... I will be able to compare them all... in a few years! :-)

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 07:01 AM UTC
Very nice Jean-Luc, love the winter camo.
I have the Dragon Mistel, in fact it is on the go as we speak. I know what you mean about the fit of the FW, but there were no mis-moulded parts on the one in the Mistel kit. However the Ju 88 had a mis-moulded fuselage half, which I had fun sorting out. I have stripped the FW of paint to redo it. It was started a long time ago and my painting is now better. I hope to finish The Mistel this year
Here's the Ju 88 bomb section.

Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 09:30 AM UTC
Hi Mal!

Thanks for your kind words!
The Mistel is a kit a want to build but I simply not have enough space for kits bigger than single props (and I just bought a Monogram Heinkel He 111 today! :-) )
I plan to make a new room in the attic (is that the right word for the space under the roof?) but me girlfriend does not agree to let me use it as my personal WWII aircraft Museum! Doh! The Mistel will have to wait...

Jean-Luc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,242 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:14 AM UTC
Tht's a damn good Focke Wulf Jean-luc the detail painting and winter camo are outstanding, Bravo
greetz Eric
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(and I just bought a Monogram Heinkel He 111 today! )

:-) I have built this kit, nice.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP