_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Before I close the Tank's fuselage
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 10:31 AM UTC
I figured I'd take a couple pics first. Most of the engine will be visible with the open cowl panels. I have enough detail in the cockpit so that wherever you look through the small opening, there won't be any bare or unfinished areas.

The kit is Dragon's 1/48 Focke-Wulf Ta 152H-1, with Eduard photoetch. I've also added wiring and hoses from fine copper wire and solder. The engine-mounted cannon is white metal, from a Trimaster Me 262 kit.

I have the Trimaster Ta 152H-1 kit also, which includes wiring diagrams for the engine. I used some of the PE parts as templates to make missing details from wire and styrene.

The engine is a pretty tight squeeze.

Now, on to the wheel wells !
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 11:10 AM UTC
Hi Bill

I'm not long back from Greece and pics like those are really something special to help me get over the post-holiday blues! That is looking VERY, VERY nice!

How about making this one a full Feature? Can you keep notes and take pics of each stage ready for a final write-up?

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 04:46 PM UTC
Hi Bill!

Great work! It's to bad a lot will be hidden once the fuselage will be closed! It would have deserved a "Clear edition"! Looking forward to see the model finished!

bravo!

Jean-Luc
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:37 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan and Jean-Luc !

Rowan - I can do that. I'm not sure if I took pics of the parts on the sprues or not. I have the Trimaster release, but it includes white metal and more photoetch than the Dragon rebox. I know I have a pic of the Eduard frets, though.

Jean-Luc - not much of the engine is hidden, as I'm building it with the cowl panels open. The rear of the engine, along with the cannon, is visible from the wheel wells. The fuselage halves are joined now, and it looks like this:

I don't care for models that are "opened up" for no other reason than to show detail. I need to have a reason why it's opened. This will be displayed on a tarmac with an officer (from a ProModeler He 111H-22 kit) and a "blackbird" (from a Trimaster Me 262 kit).

They have just received some basic coats. LOTS more brushwork to go !

Thanks again !
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:41 AM UTC
Great detail in that build. Very nicely done, very clean and precise.
To bad it gets hidden (you know it's there though).

I hope the figures skin tone is going to get some more of that brush work. In the photo its a bit gray.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 06:30 AM UTC
Awsome stuff, as ever Bill. I'm looking forward to seeing this finished. Your detail is good enough for me to use as reference, so I always look forward to seeing it here.
Mal
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 01:56 PM UTC
Thank you Scott and Mal !

Scott - yes, there is a lot more work to do on the figures. The faces and uniforms only have the shadow colors painted, with one lighter drybrush on top of it. I haven't added any warmth or highlights yet.

Mal - I've got some pics I found on the net for reference.
These are pics of the cockpit of an Fw 190D-13 (very close to a Ta 152): http://p069.ezboard.com/fluftwaffeexperten71774frm69.showMessage?topicID=46.topic
And here are some pics of the engine. I found them after I painted and detailed mine. When I build the Trimaster issue, I'll be using these:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v280/Pixilater/Jumo%20213/
It can be misleading to interpret someone else's interpretation.

Thanks again !
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:45 AM UTC
Thanks for the links Bill, that D-13 looks almost as good as one of your models
Mal
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
Stunning detail.. it's hard to believe that this is 1:48 scale. I wish I could do that to my 1:32 BF 109 when it's done, there'll be plenty of scope for detail as it will be crash landed in a field. That's one reason why I have shyed away from getting on with that project.

Incredible Job, well done

Cheers
Henk
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 03:16 PM UTC
Thanks Mal and Henk !

Mal - if only that were true.

Henk - I find that 1/48 is just the right scale for me. 1/72 is far too small for me to try and detail the way I want. 1/32 would be much easier for me, but I like more of a challenge (and the birds are too big !). I'll stick with 1/48.
 _GOTOTOP