_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
ICM´s 1/48 Mig 3 Finished model
josepedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
KitMaker: 172 posts
AeroScale: 168 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 05:50 AM UTC
Hello everybody!!!

This was my third project with airbrush, and was painted with both Tamiya´s acrilic paints and Humbrol enamels. One time experience....

ICM´s Mig 3, out of the box, with the adiction of lead foil seat belts+ copper harnesses.

The model was given some post shading, a soapy wash with pastels, and some paint chiping with the salt technique (prop, wings and fuselage sides)

Decals came from the box.
Thanks for looking, and please send some feedback and criticism.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hi José

That is looking excellent! I still have yet to try the "salt technique". The chipping around the cockpit and landing gear looks particularly effective. There have been a few posts recently about problems combining salt with acrylics - were you using the Humbrol or Tamiya paints there?

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 09:58 AM UTC
Tovaritch José!

Your Mig looks splendid! I like these white/red schemes for the Mikoyan&Gurevitch. They give the opportunity to really achieve subtle weathering effects like you did! I build mine a few month ago and I can recommend the kit!
By the way, did you build the engine? I did and regretted it because the top engine cowling was difficult to glue in place afterwards!

Good job!

Jean-Luc
josepedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
Posted: Monday, June 20, 2005 - 11:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi José

That is looking excellent! I still have yet to try the "salt technique". The chipping around the cockpit and landing gear looks particularly effective. There have been a few posts recently about problems combining salt with acrylics - were you using the Humbrol or Tamiya paints there?

All the best

Rowan

hello and thanks for the feedback!
The underside of fuse. is painted with Humbrol enamel, and no problem with the salt. However the upper fuse. is painted with Tamiya´s acrilic XF-2, and i did experienced some salt dissolution.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi josé, a loverly Mig and this is similar to the scheme mine will be in (when I get around to building it). I think you have done well with the salt technique, it is usually overdone on aircraft, but not in this case. IMHO it is more suited to armour as it's to random.
What red have you used, looks like a good match for the stars?
Nice one, thanks for sharing
Mal
josepedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 02:39 PM UTC

What red have you used, looks like a good match for the stars?
[/quote]
Thanks for the feedback!
The red is Humbrol´s enamel 174 "signal red", and was the best match, at least to my eyes, to the stars.
thanks!!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 11:39 PM UTC
Thanks josé, I've made a note, Agreed a good match.
Mal
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 11:09 PM UTC
hi jose! thats a striking looking model you have there, the weathering on a white machine is nicely done, you mention using a soapy wash with pastels, how did you do that?
cheers phil
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 06:00 AM UTC
Great work !
The painting and weathering look great !

about the paintsceme :
some historians are wondering if red is the right color for the wings... They might be green ! All the known pictures are B&W so it's just impossible to know for sure.
Some historians think the white painted plane was fitted with wing panels from another origin. These would have been left in their early war green scheme (4BO paint ???).

That's a sad theory because red painted wings just look so much cooler...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 07:36 AM UTC
Interesting theory Anthony, but unless these "historians" were actually there then I for one will ignore them The theory does make sense until you look at josé model and see the red painted spinner and blades. Whoever decided that the scheme was red would have compared the wing, spinner and blades with the stars? I have seen several of these schemes and I go with the red. Like you say, it looks much cooler like that
Mal
josepedro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 12:55 PM UTC
Hello all!
thank´s for all the comments!
About the colors of these airplane, i had to take a decision when i built this model, and i did some digging on that scheme. Althoug i´m new in this hobby, i found two pics of the aircraft, one in "Jane´s Pochet Guide of Fighters of World War II" and another on a French magazine called "Batailles Aerienes" devoted to Operation Taifun. In my umble opinion i decided to paint it without the natural metal nose covers, as i´ve seen some models, and in opposite to the scheme on proposed by ICM, i also opted to paint the prop and spinner like that. It was what i felt more logical and what maked more sense to me.
Again, i state that my experience is very few, and i opted to do what felt right in my opinion...
More important is that i feel good with the result, and for me that´s the essence of this hobby!
Stay well, and regards from the Azorean Islands!
José.
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 29, 2005 - 06:54 PM UTC
How are those ICM aircraft kits for fit, detail and quality? I have a Panzer II Luchs but have only opened the box. These kits seem to be very inexpensive, but you sometimes get what you pay for.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 07:43 AM UTC
Hello Lauren!

I only build ICM planes in 1/48. The kits I build were overall good. The problem by ICM are the sink marks du to low quality moldings (I suppose). But this is nothing you can't handle with a few putty! the overall fit is good and the detail of the kit correct. The major "plus" of ICM kits IS the price! You get a lot for your money! Many aircraft kits have detailled engines and bonus parts as well as ground equipment and accessories (personal, ladders, tables, fuel drums etc...)
ICM did also produce some boxes with three(!?) aircrafts AND two sprues of ground personal! The box having the price of one Tamigawa kit!
ICM is definitely worth a try!

Jean-Luc
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2005 - 08:48 AM UTC
Martin Ramsden (Brandydoguk) did review the Spitfire Mk IX of ICM. You can look at the review here.
 _GOTOTOP