Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-40E What to use for antenna wire?
rjhery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:15 AM UTC
Newbie problem, damned if I can use the search engine. Everything I find that says it matches my search goes to some other page or to a page that's blank altogether.

So forgive me if this has been answered a dozen times already.

Newbie question; How do you make tight antenna wire for aerials? I've tried thread and stretched spruce, but haven't tried fishing line. After you give me direction as to what to use, how to you attach it to the craft? With spruce I have tried gluing through holes drilled into plane (looks bad) and have tried tying the thread (looks like tied thread). I do mostly 1/48 and 1/72 scale models and am okay at it, but this has always been one particular area that I can't get the hang of.

Thanks in advance!

-R
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 12:00 PM UTC
I use 2lb. fishing line. I dip one end in Zap-A-Gap CA (thick CA), then insert one end into a pre-drilled hole in the tail. I let it dry completely (I wait half an hour), then put a small drop on the antenna mast. Pulling on the fishing line, I lower it into place on the mast. I hold it there for a while (the most difficult part for me) until it holds. After another half an hour, I snip off the end with a pair of fingernail clippers. They let you get really close to the mast. I then paint them a very dark gray. Some modelers run a black magic marker over the aerial before they attach it.

Most of my areials were done this way. You can see them here: http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/galleries.htm

Hope this helps !
rjhery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 03:04 AM UTC
I'm sold. 2lb fishing line it is then! Never heard of Zap-A-Gap before, but I'll check the hobby shop for it. I assume it's like super glue.

Thanks for the tip!

Any tips on the search engine!
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 03:18 AM UTC
Zap-a-Gap is just a thick super glue. The name implies it use to fill gaps in kits. Any thick CA works. Best of luck and welcome to Armorama.

Jeff
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 06:30 AM UTC
i also use very fine fishing line as aerials, dont know what its technical name is, but its roughly the same thickness as hair, and something i found out about it is that if your lines are a little slack you can hold it over a lightbulb and the heat is enough to pull it taught, i think this might be a better option than matches cos thats just asking for trouble!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 06:37 AM UTC
Hi Richard, Welcome to Armorama.
My method is similar to Bill's, but I use smoke coloured Invisible mending thread. Here is the sequence from my Spitfire on-line build (Found Here)

One of the reasons I use Invisible mending thread, is because it can be made properly taught by heat. I use a heated pin, just don't get to close. The full explanation is in the caption to this pick. Fishing line probably reacts the same way? However you don't need to colour the Invisible mending thread, if you use the smoke colour.

Mal
Chief
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 498 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 08:28 AM UTC
Try this........
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/105

Hope it helps. Chief
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
Hi Richard

I actually always use the other old stand-by - Heated Stretched Sprue with white-glue "insulators".

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2005 - 11:33 PM UTC
Yes of course, another excellant method from Chief.
Here's a live link: Antenna wires from fishing line
Mal
rjhery
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
Thank you...

Sir...Sir...Sir...Sir...Sir...and Sir!

I can't find 2lb test at any local sporting store, I'll look for the mending thread. Ah, nothing like a visit to the fabric store....
 _GOTOTOP