_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
"Two Wings And A Prayer" Arado underway.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hi there

Thanks to Jean-Luc posting pics of his finished Chaika, I've pulled my socks up and decided both what to build and actually started!

I've also gone for a Classic Airframes kit - the Arado Ar 68. I've always fancied trying one of the colourful pre-War schemes, so here's my excuse.

Anyway, as I say, I've made a start, dressing up the cockpit slightly - mostly the instrument panel - with reference to Kenneth Merrick's "German Aircraft Interiors Vol. 1" (a wonderful book if you haven't already come across it!).

Obviously there's a long way to go on this one - and I think I've already found a problem with the shape of the propeller - but I'll post updates as and when I can.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hi Rowan!

Welcome on board! Happy to have awaken you on this one! Aaaaah! Classic Airframes kits! Their short run plastik, resin and Photoeched parts... always a trip in the unknown, a path full of danger, a jump into mystery! Sometimes, with these kind of kits, the way is more important than the outcome!

Good luck for your project!

By the way, did you noticed there's only one aircraft campaign listed on the campaign page for the moment! Doh!

Jean-Luc
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC
Don't know the brand, but it looks like a very detailed kit. Which scale is it??
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hi guys

Quoted Text

By the way, did you noticed there's only one aircraft campaign listed on the campaign page for the moment! Doh!

I know Jean-Luc... it's shocking! I think there's a hold on adding new Campaigns at the moment, but we'll have to make sure we get in a few submission for the next batch. Actually, you can do an aircraft vignette for the Gary Beebe Flat-Tops Campaign.

Quoted Text

Don't know the brand, but it looks like a very detailed kit. Which scale is it??

Hi Paul. It's 1/48 scale. Classic Airframes produce detailed short-run kits - plastic injection moulded parts backed up (usually) by resin and photo-etched parts. They take a bit more building than the likes of Tamiya etc., but they do produce some some really unusual subjects which you're unlikely to find elsewhere.

All the best

Rowan
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 10:18 AM UTC
Hi guys

Quoted Text

I know Jean-Luc... it's shocking! I think there's a hold on adding new Campaigns at the moment, but we'll have to make sure we get in a few submission for the next batch. Actually, you can do an aircraft vignette for the Gary Beebe Flat-Tops Campaign.

Quoted Text

Hi Paul. It's 1/48 scale. Classic Airframes produce detailed short-run kits - plastic injection moulded parts backed up (usually) by resin and photo-etched parts. They take a bit more building than the likes of Tamiya etc., but they do produce some some really unusual subjects which you're unlikely to find elsewhere.

Check out Jean-Luc's I-153 to see how good Classic Airframes kits can look.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hello Rowan!

Maybe this isn't the place but I wanted to thank you for the work you did on my article!
The little "Russia's Gull" picture with red letters looks great! Do you work in an advertising agency?

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 10:52 AM UTC
LOL! Jean-Luc

I appreciate the compliment, but wait 'till Flitzer get back! He's our real graphic artist! i just muddle by as best I can...

All the best and thanks for submitting!

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 05:39 AM UTC
Having just taken a look and realised that this campaign ends in November I have joined. Like Rowan I am going to build a Classic Airframes kit. It will be their latest offering of the Fiat CR.42. I will do one that took part in the Battle of Britain, as this will not only fit into my collection nicely, it has a nice complicated scheme for me to have a go at
I sort of gave up on campaigns because, although I love the idea and entered everyone going, I found it difficult to finish them. The time line is still a little tight for me but I'll give it a go.
As we are talking 2 wings and I, as yet, have nothing to show, here's a pic of my only biiplane to date. ESCI's Henschel Hs123:

Rowan, cockpit is looking good.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP