JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 02:15 PM UTC
Finally, I have finished yet another long term build, 1/48 Pro Modeler's JU-88A-4. Ready to continue harrying the RN and USN in the Mediterranean.

Primed with Floquil silver, painted with Polly Scale RLM 78, 79 & 80, etc. Amazing how hard Polly Scale dries and resists tape. Built OoB, except for brake piping, and seat belts made of cloth tape and chain link.

I decided to build the machine lightly weathered. Seems the attrition of the bomber Geschwaders was so high I figured not many planes would live to get banged up and chipped. First I painted it in the three color camo. Then I decaled it. What I've read indicates the over-water squiggly Wassermuster camo was field-applied, so I allowed it to obscure some markings.

The JU-88's exhaust pattern is very interesting. At first I thought it was shadow, but photos without shadow show the heavy soot blasted out of the pipes and was carried up the nacelle and over the leading edge, as well as under the wing.

The kit decals were troublesome, taking three sheets to complete the bird. The gear, too. Multi-part, one strut broke and had to be grafted to the bulkhead inside the wheel well AFTER the wing was assembled. Finally, the canopy, after much sanding and tweaking, still doesn't fit well. As I've posted before, looking at many JU-88 photos shows the real canopy didn't fit like a filled-N-sanded model, either, so I decided "good enough" is the motto, and it was time to finish the beast.

Overall, a nice model, but be ready to work for it as it is a modular kit.

ABOVE, Just over the small seat, you can see the 'bathtub' gunner's twin MGs.

Note, the red in lower left nose isn't the bombadier after a fighter attack, it is the red on the cup in front of the plane.

almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 07:06 PM UTC
thats really nice fred, the ju 88 is one of my favorite german bombers. ive had half an eye on the revell 1/48 version of this kit for some time now. its funny you had problems with the canopy, the only 88 i have built is the airfix 1/72 one (twice, once in 1980ish and later on in 1990ish) and both times i remember struggling with the nose glazing. model of the month entry for july?
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 08:08 PM UTC
Hi Fred!

Great Ju 88 you made! I like the camo although it's not "clean" as on many models is saw in the past! But I think you have done it on purpose! It's very "realistic" that way! These field camos where hastily done with temporary paints that weathered very fast... exactly what you did!

Bravo for your model and thanks for the building tips!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 08:14 PM UTC
Yes Fred, definately an entry for the MOM, nice one.
I have this kit it's from Dragon moulds I believe. I have built the Mistel Ju88 and it was quite a chor, you have made a good job of this.
Mal
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the comments.

Yes, it is the Dragon molds that Monogram Pro Modeler--now Revell-Monogram/Revell--use. I have the modular family Dragon JU-188 awaiting, though it is several kits down the line right now. Maybe my taste will change soon...I plan to start Uhu, Tamiya 1/48 He-219 soon.

Jean-Luc, yes, I sprayed the squiggles, then saaded much off around high-traffic areas to show wear upon over improperly prepared field-applied paint.

Almonkey, MOM? You bet! I appreciate that. The canopy is challenging because, like the rest of the kit, it is modular. Over the pilot is single piece, but over the gunners is a two half assemble. We all know how well clear styrene takes glue....started off with Ambroid, then a thin superglue bead...it still flexes

BTW, here is a great gallery of Luftwaffe tools of torment:

field-applied JU-88 squiggle close-up To me, there appears to be a bit of overspray in areas.
JU-88 exhaust pattern
Squiggly + exhaust
Exhaust

The heck of it is, my MS-406 was free-hand airbrushed: MS-406 Camo

I will be away from the computer for awhile, but look forward to your critiques and comments.

See ya'!
 _GOTOTOP