_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Panel lines
PanzerKarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 11:31 PM UTC
Here are a couple of photos of my model plane,i have done a black wash along the right wing panel lines.

At the moment am using a 000 paint brush and following the lines,but its going to take ages should i just use a bigger brush and just slap it on ?or will that ruin the look,i have coated the model with future.
any advice will be greatly apriciated.
cheers
Ripster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 11:40 PM UTC
If you have a scrap wing (or tail or whatever, doesn't really matter as long as it has panel lines), use it as a test bed. Paint it exactly the same way you have your plane, including any clear coats and so on, and then test the wash on that.

I think you'll probably find it a lot easier to use a large brush and 'slap on' the wash (within reason!) Any surplus can be cleaned up whilst wet with a cotton bud, paper towel or similar, just leaving the panel lines darkened.

Cheers!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 01:02 AM UTC
Hi Karl!

As I'm a little bit mad I use the same technique as you: following the panel lines with a "three haired" brush! It's very long but you have "clean" panel lines.
The technique Graham is reffering to is far more easier and also very effective. BUT works best on previously coatted kits (future) and with oil paints!
DO NOT apply this technique on mat paint with an acrylic wash for example! It would ruin your work! Acrylics dry to fast and they will leave traces! Oil is perfect because it dries slowly!
As Graham said before, PRACTICE is the magic word and NEVER test on a current project!

Jean-Luc
Ripster
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 970 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 01:15 AM UTC
Thanks for clarifying that Jean-Luc - I should have pointed out that I meant using oil paints for the wash(es). Longer drying time gives you a LOT more margin for error. As you say, acrylics are not suitable for this
PanzerKarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 03:03 AM UTC
Thanks for your posts guys.good point about the slow drying oils.i think ill stick to the long process as i dont wont to ruin the model.
cheers
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 05:56 AM UTC
Hi Karl,
You may find this article interesting it's about applying an oil wash: Black Gold washes, Oil washes that is When I apply a wash I aim to leave a film of colour on the surface, as well as highlighting the panel lines. The trick to applying washes is to protect the paint first. Use a gloss coat ( the wash will run better) Klear (Future in the US) is the best I have found for this.
If you just want to highlight the panel lines then you might find this article more to your taste Panel Lines With Pencil Lead

For some reason the pictures in both these articles, and possibly others have red X's showing. However if you click in the box the picture will appear. I will try and fix it, but don't let it put you off the articles

Mal
PanzerKarl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 02, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC
Cheers Mal them articals are a great help.i realy like the artical on the black gold washes just brilliant.
Now i have to have a go and try it on my new 109G14 :-) so am pushing aside the hornet for a bit
Thanks
Reguards karl
riversphynxz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 262 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 10:10 AM UTC
eversince i started adding panel lines to my models, i always use rotring ink + H2O + liquid soap. if you think the wash is too light, you can add more ink in your mixture or make another pass with your wash. you can use any water base ink for your info.
Beginner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 30 posts
Posted: Friday, October 07, 2005 - 05:19 PM UTC
Sorry, but is there a guide here that teaches me how to paint panel lines? Thanks!
 _GOTOTOP