_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Any info on a 1/35 Tomy George?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 01:16 AM UTC
While digging through my old kits and inventorying them, I ran across a 1/35(?) scale Japanese George by Tomy. It looks like a good sized kit with no box. Any of you aircraft experts have any information on this beast?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2005 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hi Sabot,

IIAC, the only 1/35 George is by Nichimo, and it isn't very good. No interior, raised rivets, seperate control surfaces--your basic toy model of the 70's.

Now, I have a 1/32 Doyusha George, and Revell's 1/32 George. IIRC, Revell's gear retracts and it has the typical OK cockpit and nice engine of Revell's 1/32 offerings. IIRC.2, it is considered the zenith of Revell's 1/32 offerings, molded in Japan. Well done rivet detail but with raised and recessed panels. The molds are supposedly lost in a shipwreck with the Tony and Jack.

Doyusha's is not the Nichimo nor Revell. Surface detail-wise, it is a beautiful kit! However, it has no interior to speak of (except good whell wells), made to be motorized.

Now, back in the 70's there were issued 1/32 George and Frank, both by Tomy. I have the Frank reissued by Swallow, and I believe that your Tomy George is the same kit now issued by Doyusha (or is it Doyashu?).

There is a site Large Scale Planes:

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/index.html

(This is an edit--can't make it a hotlink) and they have sorces for detail parts.

(Link fixed - Editor)

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 02:45 PM UTC
A closer inspection and this is a 1/32, not 1/35 scale George. The kit has a motor to spin the prop. It looks rather neat. Thanks for the information.
 _GOTOTOP