Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-40 build update
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
Hi guys. Just a few more pics of Hasegawas 1/48 P-40 build. The seam around the rear fuselage and behind the "rear window"has been filled with superglue and sanded smooth with Flexi-File sanding sticks, starting with the roughest to the smoothest and dipped in water to keep the dust down. Don't let the superglue set to long or it will be harder to get a smooth joint.It's time consuming but worth it. I will have to rescribe some of the panel lines, this will be a first for me. . Don't forget to sand the seams where the machine guns meet the leading edge of the wings. Photos from my Squadron book show no seams around the guns. The kits guns are nicely drilled out for you. The kit exhaust stacks were drilled out and painted with ModelMaster burnt iron. I will be working on the panel lines this weekend and hopefully joining the wings to the fuselage. Thanks for looking, Wingman out.
Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2005 - 06:09 PM UTC
Looks great!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 12:18 AM UTC
Hi Michael

Nice job on the dodgy fuselage joints! I look forward to seeing how well the re-scribing turns out.

One point I'd make concerns the Interior Green paint under the windows behind the cockpit. I know the kit instructions call for that, but all the WW2 colour photos I've got show the area painted with the exterior colour, so it'd be worth checking as many refs as you can before you add the glazing.

Hope this helps

Rowan
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I'll look into that area behind the cockpit and repaint if need be, thanks Rowan, thanks for lookin guys, Wingman out.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hi Michael, yep nice job on those joints and drilling out the exhausts. It's nice to have the gun barrels hollow and they look nice and round too, that makes alot of difference, sving the trouble of using tube.
Looking forward to seeing this finished, a possible contender for next months MOM
Mal
 _GOTOTOP