Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 05:57 AM UTC
My on-line build of Tamiya's FW 190D-9 is completed, finally and can be found HERE (If you just want to see the finished pics simply go to the last 2-3 pages. I will hopefully be taking some better ones tomorrow for the MOM)
My appologies to Philip (Procrazzy) for taking so long, as it was for him I started it. However it's not unusual for me to take this long over a build, first pics were posted in March. I've had a few minor hiccups along the way, but most kits are like that, for me anyway, and as usual mostly of my own making. I have enjoyed the build and, sometime in the future, will compare it with a Dragon kit.
I did start out on this as a build for the novice but it was just taking to long waiting for the right conditions to take pics before moving onto the next stage. I have included the few misshaps along the way, such as overspray on the windscreen and painting the wrong canopy but this is all part of the build and I hope that Philip, and anyone else, will take heart in the fact that no build goes 100% smoothly. My Lysander as become a real problem agin it's the canopy but I think I have got over the sticking point on my Mosquito, again the canopy so I hope to have that off and running again soon.
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 06:59 AM UTC
Hi Mal

Lovely job as usual!

These on-line builds are a great help to other modellers and, as you say, no project goes 100% smoothly (or very rarely, anyway). If we didn't hit a few obstacles along the way, we'd never progress and develop our skills.

Thanks for sharing and all the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2005 - 08:01 AM UTC
Hello Mal!

I don't know what's the most incredible about the FW190 D9 build you made! The final result or the 170 pictures (this MUST be world record!) you took!
Anyway, you should enter in the Holy Modelers Orders for helping all the plastik kit sinners we are! Your work is almost devotional! Half the time to build and have fun and half the time to help the others by taking pictures and posting them! I'll vote for you when there is another Pope election!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 - 08:29 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan, I just hope I can finish the, Lysander, Val and Mossi sometime soon. Of course the project I need to get on with, the Rex on a water base and well weathered, has taken a back seat while I got the 190 done. Mind you so has, the Me 163, Ta 183, Il 2 Stormovick, Hawker Tempest, Mistel combination, Do 17z, Catalina, CR.42, Ar 196, Seafire FR 47, Bv 141.................well you get the picture.
Thanks Jean-Luc, I don't think I like the idea of being Pope, I don't think the position allows the building of models? However I could make it compulsary for the Catholic faith, then I would have to :-) Seriously I do like passing on what I have learnt and pictures seem the best way. I am interested in photography so I'm learning that as well Again on another serious note I'm thinking that, in the future, I will build the models and take the pics first, then start the online build and feed the pics in on a regular basis? One thing about these on-line builds is that I do get them finished. I have been stuck with the Val and Mossi for a while but I think I've sorted the Mossi. The Lysander has given me a kick in the teeth recently but I'll be back on track soon. It won't be in next months MOM, but maybe the month after.
Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2005 - 08:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It won't be in next months MOM, but maybe the month after.

Ohhhh! That's a good news for the other participants!

Jean-Luc
procrazzy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 359 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 03:36 AM UTC
Its not your fault you took so long. Also, had you ruahed it it would not look as amazing as it does now! the online build will be very helpful to anyone wanting to build hte tamiyab fw-190d-9.

cheers

Philip
archerwin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 106 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 02:38 PM UTC
Holdfast,
i'm currently saving all your photos for reference! very informative... i have to get the tamiya F-190D!

BTW, just curious on why you used gloss black for your pre-shade? is there a reason why? thanks! i only used flat black for my pre-shading...

thanks!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2005 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

BTW, just curious on why you used gloss black for your pre-shade? is there a reason why? thanks! i only used flat black for my pre-shading...

Generally the pigment in gloss paints is finer than in matt paint, therefore it is easier to spray a finer line. However as pre-shading doesn't really require a fine line it's a little academic. So matt black is fine, just that you may be more likely to get spatter, which is not good. Incidently more modern matt paints have a much finer pigment than the older type, but another reason for using gloss is it was all I had at the time I always use gloss though, just easier to spray.
Mal
 _GOTOTOP