Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Camo and markings
AikinutNY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 02:52 AM UTC
I have been looking at some examples of camoflauge on WWII planes to use on a 1946 ' What if' on some German armor. Most of the planes are painted in camo but have loud unit markings, like bands around the fulseage or the engine cowling and wing tips. Did they not make the plane stand out parked on the field or flying? I understand the "Invasion Stripes" and nose art, but not the other markings.

Any input? was camo usless for the planes? Or were the markings covered on the groud?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 06:50 AM UTC
Hi Jim,
The camouflage on aircraft is mainly to obscure it on the ground or from an enemy above. Of course there are exceptions, like pink PR Spitfires, when the unusul colour choice blended perfectly with cloud formations when the sun was low, making the Spit all but invisable from the ground.
Some markings are designed to enable friendly forces to recognise one another in the heat of battle. yellow noses on Bf 109's during the Battle of Britain, Sky fuselage bands and Spinners plus yellow wing leading edges on RAF aircraft later in the war. The Luftwaffe employed colourful "Riech defence bands" for units defending the homeland. I wouldn't think that these markings compramised, to much, the intended use of the camouflage. I some cases colourful markings were used to boost morale.
Have you seen the Luft 46 camo on the Features page, Peter Alan (Flitzer) has just had his latest work published, you must have a look.
Here's a link to the latest: Luft 46 Colours, Pt 10
Mal
lordQ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 530 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2005 - 10:20 PM UTC
hi,

if i were you i'll take a look at those V-1 and V-2 camouflages.
AikinutNY
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 683 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 08:16 AM UTC
That was the site that I was looking at the "What If" camo patterns and thought that the yellow bands and such would have blown the camo on the plane.

Once, the Allies landed on D-Day and the air bases were not under attack the camo would not be needed, hense the polished skins on the P-51. But the German airfields would have been getting hit pretty regularly. The German AA gunners would not have been able to see the unit markings on the planes and a German fighter pilot would be going for the bombers first.
 _GOTOTOP