_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
My next Helicopter
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 06:40 AM UTC
The SH-60B for Italeri 1/48.

I have all the references needed, and I have most of the kit cleaned up and ready to glue. I am not using any aftermarket PE or resin, all will be scratch built. I have plans on cutting the tail boom section so as it will fold. The kit already came with blade folds of the main rotor, so that will save me some work there. I will have progress pics shortly.

Epi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 06:58 AM UTC
Looking forward to seeing them.

You got me inspired to do one of those 1/48 Academy CH-46's. It is sitting on my bench with the interior done and the halfs put together.

Now I'll probably end up getting one of these after we see iy complete.
phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
I can't wait to see this one Joe. Knowing how well your helicopters look after completion, I will be following this one closely.
Kyle
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 08:34 AM UTC
Hello Joe!

Sounds good! Slurp! Miam! Miam! Looking forward to see some in-progress pics!

Jean-Luc
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 08:39 AM UTC
Joe,
I'm, sure it will be great. Good luck. I may attempt a SH-60B or HH-60H with the Academy 1/35 UH-60A/L kit, if I get brave enough, one day. Can't wait to see it done.
EasyOff
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 926 posts
AeroScale: 27 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 09:30 AM UTC
Helecopters are cool subjects. Press on, lets see some photos!
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 02:24 PM UTC
Howdy Joe,

Sound's like a righteous project And, after seeing the brilliant work you did on your '46, I can only imagine the superb result from your efforts on this one........although....considering the Seahawk in question wears some pretty plain clothes normally, I am even more intrigued by potentially what you may have in store..............

Tread.

EDIT:.....must admit tho', kinda surprised your "next" project wasn't a 1/48th scale '53.......loads of very cool possibilties there mate {here's where I would normally place the 'winking' smiley......but I can't figure out how to do it in "edit"....}
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC
Thanks all for the encouragement, won’t let you down Gordon I'm still looking for that special look, as for the 53... oh yeah I have one of the coming up next, and with all the works. I plan on scratching the whole interior in that big bird.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 03:21 PM UTC
Would anyone know the diameter of the bars (red) that hold the main rotor blades in place. Thanks

Augie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 711 posts
AeroScale: 107 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 03:28 PM UTC
Can't wait to see how it goes. I've done one chopper so far, the Italeri Cormorant and it was a lovely build. Hope this turns out as nice of a kit as mine did!
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 04:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Would anyone know the diameter of the bars (red) that hold the main rotor blades in place. Thanks

Joe,
They are 1" tube with deadeyes on the ends.

As for your 53= Try the USMC desert version with nudes painted in the camo.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 05:58 PM UTC
Thanks Todd as for the 53 nude, yeah I saw them...coool
LemonJello
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 01:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, now this one has gotten my attention...The what with the what??? Any links?
Neo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
AeroScale: 22 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Okay, now this one has gotten my attention...The what with the what??? Any links?

Yes... for research purposes only of course...
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 06:48 AM UTC
OK Joe, less talking more building Can't wait to see it cos we all know it's gonna be so cool
Mal
phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 07:06 AM UTC
Ask and yee shall receive. The "research" photos of the desert scheme -53 (helos are from HMH-466 during ODS)

Photos and info courtesy of Aircraft Resource Center.
Kyle
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 11:53 AM UTC
Hahaha. I just bought and started mine two days ago (the Seahawk - I'm still waiting for a plastic -53E). My initial glee with the interior is turning to somewhat disappointment. There are some fit issues and considerable lack of detail in areas. My biggest criticism at this point is that the Sensor Operator's panel is out in the open. There is no rear panel, and no bulkhead between the SO's panel and the cockpit. From what I see now, one can easily look through the cockpit and see straight into the hollow SO console!

My other problem, and a source of a lot of frustration is test-fitting the interior ceiling as there is only one attachment point - at the rear connecting to the rear bulkhead - and therefore the rest of the ceiling droops.

Also I noticed that - unless I drilled the wrong holes - the seat supports don't quite fit into the floor guide holes.

I have a number of other small criticisms, but I am actually finding this frustration relatively enjoyful. It is nice to tackle some serious issues with a kit instead of breezing through Tamiya Humvees as well as scraping the rust off of my aircraft building skills.

With any luck, and a bit of motivation - I too will have progress pics up shortly.

Jeff
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 07:39 PM UTC
Hey hey hey! Nice catch mother! I have the same kit and is currently building it.

Wanna see yours done
shonen_red
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
AeroScale: 543 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2005 - 07:43 PM UTC
I wonder, are there other scheme aside from that "nude" ODS scheme?
RotorHead67
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,174 posts
AeroScale: 226 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hahaha. I just bought and started mine two days ago (the Seahawk - I'm still waiting for a plastic -53E). My initial glee with the interior is turning to somewhat disappointment. There are some fit issues and considerable lack of detail in areas. My biggest criticism at this point is that the Sensor Operator's panel is out in the open. There is no rear panel, and no bulkhead between the SO's panel and the cockpit. From what I see now, one can easily look through the cockpit and see straight into the hollow SO console!

My other problem, and a source of a lot of frustration is test-fitting the interior ceiling as there is only one attachment point - at the rear connecting to the rear bulkhead - and therefore the rest of the ceiling droops.

Also I noticed that - unless I drilled the wrong holes - the seat supports don't quite fit into the floor guide holes.

I have a number of other small criticisms, but I am actually finding this frustration relatively enjoyful. It is nice to tackle some serious issues with a kit instead of breezing through Tamiya Humvees as well as scraping the rust off of my aircraft building skills.

With any luck, and a bit of motivation - I too will have progress pics up shortly.

Jeff

Jeff,
Give Chris Miller ,from Cobra models a shout. His SH-60 detail set will solve all yourItaleri building woes.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 02:07 AM UTC
I saw the conversion, and thought about it, but three things got in the way.

1. Money
2. Time; I am trying to finish for Air over the Sea campaign.
3. Construction. I have already got most of the interior done, and am working on the cockpit (argh...decal panels!!!

I am working on detailing the flat door interior, and I just finished adding something resembling a panel and bulkhead for the rear of the SO's panel. I am currently working on adding some detail behind the instrument panel and finishing the detailing on the door. Pictures eventually.

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP