_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Group Builds
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 10:03 PM UTC
Hi there

Talking to Jean-Luc has reminded me that we have got a moratorium on new Campaigns for the rest of the year. "Air Over The Sea" will end next month, leaving us with just "Two Wings And A Prayer" to carry us through to November.

So maybe it's time to bounce ideas around for some new Group Builds. For newcomers, Group Builds are basically "unofficial" campaigns - a bit more informal, but just as much fun.

So post your ideas for subjects here and let's try and drum up some interest. To kick things off... how about a "Nightfighters" build?

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 10:15 PM UTC
How about a ground attack build. Aircraft and helicopters that were built specificly for taking out ground targets like the A10, Apache, Typhoon, Ju 87G Stuka, Sukhoi SU- 25, etc.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi all!

I submitted two campaign ideas not knowing that campaigns where "frozen" currently!

The first campaign proposal was "Duel in the Skies!"
The idea was to oppose two planes that fought in the same war and in the same area. One proposes a plane and another one submit the opposing plane! So basically one modeler is "duelling" an other one in friendly manner of course! The covers of two academy kits gave me that idea as well as the old "Dogfight Serie" kits.

The second one was "Show your teeth!"
The idea is simple! Build a plane with a nose art showing some teeth. Everybody will think of the sharkmouth of the "Flying Tigers" but there where a lot more during WW2 and even in the modern times! Here are some appetizers! Miam!

As I have a relatively big stash (over 130 kits now) some group builds would be good motivation and would make the choice easier for me!

Jean-Luc

P.S. the last picture could be a good trivia question! find the names of the planes!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 07:20 AM UTC
jean-luc, start building that polikarpov! im building a 109 D that will be finished as 6-79, and looking closly at the artwork on the I-16 box hauptmann Molders says anytime mister! :-)
phoenix-1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 629 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 07:32 AM UTC
Jean-Luc, where did you find pics of that Apache? I had heard that some were being painted in grey but I had only seen one, and it didn't have the cool shark teeth on it!

As for group build ideas, I know that Tread was passing around the idea a while ago about another helo build. We could also do an aircraft campaign with paint schemes that you wouldn't normally see: such as Tiger Meet markings or the like (granted this is a lot like the Double Take campaign)

Kyle
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
Phil! I accept your dogfight! I'll build the Polikarpov in Spanish Civil War markings! I suggest you start a new topic with some in-progres pics of your "Messer" and I'll post then pictures of my "Rata!" Let's see who will down the other first

Kyle, I found the picture "accidentally" while searching for "sharkmouth" in Google. The picture was in a forum thread at ww2aircraft.net with many more aircrafts showing teeth! Here is the complete picture...

Jean-Luc
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 09:49 AM UTC
This is a great idea Merlin. I was thinking how about making it really interesting. There are two types of aircrafts builder here, props and jets. What I propose is that the props guys build modern and the modern guys build the props. This way here everyone has something new to build. Then it just won’t be a prop plan build or a modern build, it’ll be both. It can be called the “Other side of the Airstrip” and if anyone likes the idea, feel free to add in.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 03:44 AM UTC
there are too many good ideas on this thread! joe, i think i have some modern kits in my stash i could build "on the other side of the airfield" but it looks like i have a 109 to build! theres not too much progress on that jean-luc, ive only got the seat and stick glued to the cockpit floor, but ill take a pic or two and start that thread
cheers phil
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 06:53 AM UTC
Hi Phil!

By the way, is it the Academy 1/48 "Messer" or an other one? For our "Duel" build, be carefull, I can be a very fast builder and I have Holidays until september! So I think I'll be finished first!

Jean-Luc
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 09:15 AM UTC
heres a pic of the box art and my progress (such as it is) needless to say its a 1/72 with a small p/e fret included, i think its a special edition as ive seen reviews of this plane by this manufacturer that didnt have the p/e
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

To kick things off... how about a "Nightfighters" build?

Oh, how I would have loved a nightfighter build... However, I finished my J 30 Mosquito a little while ago.

I don't know about special group builds. There are a lot of campaigns for us aircraft builders to participate in (and impress the others)!

Personally, I have joined the Medics campaign, in which I'm planning to build a Swedish Junkers W34 ambulance plane (Trp 2) in 1/72. (For me, there is almost always a way to fit my favorite subject = Swedish Aircraft into a campaign!)

"Hey, how about that nurse!"

Further, there are - at least - the Miniature Magic campaign (for those who wish to build something smaller than 1/72?!), the Welcome to the Nam (Mmmmm, Phantoms....), the Twilight 2000, the S.I.K. FOR ya (as I understand it, planes that participated in IFOR, SFOR, KFOR etc) and - upcoming - SiyaAfrica - in which I'm enrolling (gonna build a Swedish - oh how odd - UN-marked Saab J 29 Tunnan in the Congo operations).

Now, having said that; - I'm new to the hobby, but have participated in three campaigns so far (= 3 of my 7 builds!). I was, however, hoping that the campaigns would entail a lot more participation from the participants. For example, I thought there would be a continous discussion regarding the progress of the models, historic disussions regarding the subjects etc. So far, there has been very little of that. I'm I looking in the wrong direction?

I would appriciate your thought regarding the above.

Cheeeers!!!!

Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 11:44 AM UTC
PolarBear
What colour scheme have you got planned for the Tunnan? As for vietnam why limit yourself to phantoms. Lots of great planes were used, like the Crusader, skyhawk, Skyraider, F-100, Thunderchief and Invader. And whats more all before the days of low vis markings.

But what your saying is that even if there isn't a offical Aircraft campaign, there still plenty of campaigns that aircraft be entered into.

David
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What colour scheme have you planned for the Tunnan?

For Congo, the supercool jungle camo (of course)! :-)

(I'm planning to build a number of Tunnans, now that Airfix releases its 1/72 kit)
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 12:11 PM UTC
Looking forward to seeing it might just have to get one myself. But if there was a nightfighter group build you could make a Lansen. One of my favorite Swedish planes
 _GOTOTOP