Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hasegawa P-40 update
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi guys. Here some more pics fron the P-40 build. Sorry for the delay between postings, photography and work were calling. Mounted the wings to the fuselage after scribing new panel lines in the rear fuselage. They could look a lot better. The joint at the wing root is good, used just a little filler. Don't foget to hollow out the bump at the rear of the fuselage. This is where the hydraulic system vent and fuselage fuel tank drain are located. The tow rings on the landing gear were drilled out and the gears painted. I will add brake lines later. The fuel tank, gear doors and wheels were painted awhile and the spinner and prop blades were cleaned up. The props are nice, very minimal flash, the blades are keyed into the front of the back plate, so they are locked in after you glue them on. I replaced the OOB gunsight with a photo-etched item, that was fun.. Clear parts were dipped in Future, layed on a paper towel to dry with a plastic lid covering them so dust can't settle on them. A plastic cover that comes with those writable cd's does a great job. I will probably start priming on Monday, I will keep you posted, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
mpalao
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / España
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 05:52 AM UTC
It's very nice work, very good. I hope more images to see the evolution of this aircraft. Great work.

Regasds
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi Wingman!

I hear the paintbrush calling! Did you already choose the markings for your aircraft?

Looking forward to see more soon!

Jean-Luc
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 09:08 AM UTC
Hi Wingman,

Good catch opening the hydraulic drain--I missed that!

A caution about the spinner. The back plate has cavernous gaps between it and the main spinner, behind the props. I had to fill and sand AFTER I'd painted the thing. Consider test fitting and perhaps applying filler as you mate the halves, wiping away whatever squishes out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 12:57 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc. I'll be doing the markings of Maj. Edward F. Rector, 76th FS, 23rd FG, China, July 1942. These markings came in the box. I'll probably start priming early this week. Thanks for looking,Wingman out.
wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC
Hi Fred. I did do a dry fit of the spinner to the back plate and did indeed see those gaps. I looked in Squadrons book and noticed what look like covers at the base of the blades. I might not sand away the seams totally. I give another look in the bok and see what happens, thanks for looking, Wingman out.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 03:16 PM UTC
Hi Wingman,

These pix are poor, which stinks because they are better on the contact sheet. I lightened them as much as able before posting, but...

Belly:

Spinner:

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2005 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi Fred. Thanks for the pics. I think I see a seam just behind the blade by the mouth. I'll see what I can do about that seam on the model, Wingman out.
 _GOTOTOP