_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Making Rotor slip covers
rommel21cw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 10:52 AM UTC
Does anyone know a good way to create the slipcovers applied to the rotors of helicopters? I am building a 1/48 scale Ah-64 apache and tried to make them with tissue the same way you would create a tarp or bedroll but was not satisfied with the results. Has anyone used another method; I am willing to try any technique. Thanks
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
Daniel you could use masking tape, then paint and drybrush. Let us know how things are going, looking forward to seeing the pics.
barv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:17 AM UTC

Foil .......will retaIn its shape
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
rommel21cw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:35 AM UTC
Thanks for the quick response guys. Masking tape was my next thought but i do like the sound of foil, the only problem being how well will it paint. I plan to construct a base for it and i should be buying a digital camera soon so i can post some pics.
Thanks,
Daniel
barv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:44 AM UTC

Have used "toothpaste "foil for similar things.......shape....clean with spirits......spray with "metal"under-coat---then paint as usual -----had no probs
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
rommel21cw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 11:58 AM UTC
What do you mean by is toothpaste foil?
barv
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 12:13 PM UTC

Thin fine foil as was used on t-paste tubes ---oops showing my age -plastic now!!.still got a stache of old stuff.........Try sweet wrapper foil ---raid the choc-box......inner wrapper........or the top off a "pot-noodle "pot------(if you have them over there)---scalpel packet------
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
rommel21cw
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 04:04 PM UTC
I think I am going to give masking tape a try and if for some reason I need to I will give foil a try after that. I have almost everything in place on the model and am going to run out tomorrow to grab the US army helo drab recommended in the other thread. After that is applied I will be able to put the covers on the rocket pods, hellfire racks, and the cockpit. I have applied the cover to the rotor head and painted it. I was applying the rotor caps with tissue and I tried to use a hair dryer to speed up the process but I left it too long and the blade bent and became very distorted with two small waves in the blade. I was able to reheat the blade and get it straight again but was not able to completely remove the waves so I roughed up the edge on the blade and made the appearance of a bit of paint worn off exposing the metal giving the impression of battle damage. Since it is a wrapped up helo already with no ordinance it now kind of has the appearance of having just taken fire in a combat mission and waiting for repair. After the model is completely finished i am going to create a base like a concrete service area with plenty of oil stains and have it tied down to the hooks on the ground.

Thanks again for the help,
Daniel
 _GOTOTOP