_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hueys in combat
pfc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
AeroScale: 41 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 12:27 PM UTC
Hello,

I was wondering if hueys after long periods of combat flight, still had all of there decals. I have seen some pictures were the decals looked faded or gone. I am starting a diorama with a UH-1D Troop Carrier droping troops in a hot lz with a UH-1C above giving cover fire. If any one has any tips or know of a site with good references I will appreciate it. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,
PFC
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 01:10 PM UTC
The markings on militaery aircraft are actually painted on and they do fade after prolonged exposure to the elements. However, they should not be so faded that they are indistinguishable, they are repainted if they become too faded.

The Huey dio sounds good. May be pretty large in 1/35th scale, you wuld need quite a bit of room between aircraft, too close and they foul eachothers air and make flight, especially hover, very difficult.
pfc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 01:15 PM UTC
Thanks HeavyArty

I didnt think of the air space. I plan on spending a lot of time on this dio. But could use alot of input I have only done a few dios but Im inproving.

PFC
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 01:25 PM UTC
Your dio sounds interesting. I have thought about doing something like it for quite some time. Have you considered using forced perspective by using a 35 scale bird in the foreground and a smaller scale bird for the gunship? I saw this done a while back and it looks pretty good.
pfc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 01:43 PM UTC
Thankya cfbush2000,

That has crossed my mind to use a smaller bird in the air but wasnt sure what it would look like. You dont know if I could see this somewhere.

PFC
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:07 PM UTC
Howdy pfc, and welcome to the site!

For Vietnam models (I believe they have some helo's) check out vietnamodels.com

Sorry, I don't know how to do the 'hperlink' dohickie.

Tread.

BTW, I believe the only Huey available in 1/35th scale at the present moment is the new Panda Models 1/35th Heliborne Series UH-1D 1st Cav kit. The model is nicely moulded, with what looks like pretty crisp lines from a cursory inspection. The kit also comes packed with a four (4) member Helicopter crew set.which also looks OK. Instructions are also simple, but fairly comprehensive.
pfc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 24, 2002 - 02:42 PM UTC
Hey TreadHead,

I have got a UH-IC gunship on the way from [url]http://www.greatmodels.com the panda model is next. Thanks for the info on the panda I did not know the crew came with it.

PFC
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:34 AM UTC
Treadhead,

Quoted Text

Panda Models 1/35th Heliborne Series UH-1D 1st Cav kit. The model is nicely moulded, with what looks like pretty crisp lines from a cursory inspection. The kit also comes packed with a four (4) member Helicopter crew set.which also looks OK.

Can you post a more complete in the box review of the Panda UH1-D? I really want this kit and can't wait till mine arrives? What do the figures look like and are there any weapons / mounts for them included? Any other details will be appreciated. Thanks.
pfc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:42 PM UTC
Hello, HeavyArty,

When I receive the UH-1D I will try to give some kind of review on the kit. I got the UH-1C today from what Ive seen of it looks really great, good figures.

PFC
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:50 PM UTC
PFC,
If the C model is the MRC kit, it is great. I have 4 of them built and a couple more in boxes. You can see one of them in my showcase below crashed on a river bank with DML SEALs and LSSC coming to the rescue. Can't wait for the review on the D model.
salt6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 796 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 01:59 PM UTC
If you do a forced perspective, you might want to think about a shadow box to control the view.
pfc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:03 PM UTC
HeavyArty,

It is the C from MRC, I found a diecast 1:32 scale Huey Hog at WallMart it comes with display stand I just could not pass it up it really cool. Can you tell me the best way to paint and weather the UH-1C Im exspecting a air brush for X-MAS never used one.

Thanks,PFC
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:09 PM UTC
PFC,
The best way is to paint overall w/ Model Master Dark Green or Helicopter Drab with your new airbrush, add decals. Give a light dusting of a reddish earth color with either chalks or could be sprayed w/ air brush . Next do same with a medium gray chalk , or drybrush,to give an overall faded look and use 2 to 3 coats of clear flat to seal it and kill any and all shine on the model. That should give you a pretty realistic looking Huey. Good luck.
 _GOTOTOP