_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Quality of Airfix 1/24 scale kits
vaildog
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 13 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:00 AM UTC
What is the word on the Airfix line of large scale aircraft kits. I'm looking at the Stuka and Mustang kits and am wondering if they compare with the Trumpeter kits in quality.
Thanks.
warvos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 05:27 AM UTC
I built the p-51 "Big Beautiful Doll", and to me it always felt like a lot of pieces were missing, or left out.

it's a nice model, but very simplistic out of the box. you can leave the engine covers open, showing the frame and the motor, or showing the machineguns on the wings, but there is only very few detail, so a lot would have to be scratchbuild if you want a very detailed bird.

But if you just plan on putting this on a shelf, the thing will loook big and nice to look at from a distance.
I'd suggest buying pe for it if that exists, or prepare to add a lot of hoses and rivets and buttons etc...

STill, I was pretty proud of this model for a long time, especially because of the flashy look with all the decals, and also because it's just plain huge!!!!!

May she now rest in piece(s)....

gunnerk19
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
AeroScale: 19 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 04:26 PM UTC
I'm currently working on the Stuka and it is a very nice kit; The only problem I've had thus far is the cockpit floor needed to be sanded down at the front and back sides in order for the fuselage halves to meet without a gap...
DD-393
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:20 PM UTC
The "old" Airfix 1/24 scale planes were great in their day, but are kind of dated now. I built the P-51 Mustang years ago, and you know, I really enjoyed building it.

I looked at it this way. The build really developed my researching skills, because the model really needs a lot of scratch building to make it into something worth showing off. I remember scratch building the wheel bays. Didn't turn out too bad. I did some of the cockpit as well.

I guess the next thing I would have done with it would be to work on my bare metal finishes.

Overall, not bad kits for their time. And worth picking up if you want to do something extra with it. Or, even if you just want to build it out of the box, it will be impressive for its size.

-Charlie
 _GOTOTOP