_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Focke-Wulf Ta 152H-1 finished
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 12:17 PM UTC
I finished Dragon's 1/48 Ta 152H-1 today. I used Eduard's photoetched detail set and the kit decals (plane & W. Nr. from Trimaster kit, swastika from Eagle Strike).
When DML changed the gear legs and retractors from white metal to plastic, they did a poor job. The angle of the gear attachments are incorrect, and the retractors length was changed. I was able to get the forward "rake" correct, but they won't "pinch in" enough. As a result, one of the retractor's arms is bent. This is only visible from certain angles, so I'm not going to let it bother me.
I've found conflicting info for the areial attachment. Profiles (which I never trust) show two different positions, and it can't be seen in any photos I've found. Until I find a photo, I won't attach it.

Here's a "Focke-Wulf Family Portrait."

Front left: Dragon Fw 190A-8
Front right: Trimaster Fw 190D-9
Rear Dragon Ta 152H-1

The full build can be seen here: http://www.pix.prettyneatinc.com/ta152build.htm
Thus ends my "Focke-Wulf on anabolic steriods" project. Thanks for letting me share it with you !
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 05:26 PM UTC
Hi Bill!

I tried! I swear I tried! I tried to find some glue marks, some scratches on the windscreen, some paint splash, some alignment errors... nothing apart from the bended retractor I wouldn't have noticed! :-)
This is another of your perfect builds! On more in the growing collection of great Luftwaffe planes! Congratulations Bill! It's always a pleasure to see your models!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 12:05 AM UTC
Superb, as usual Bill, looks wonderful.
Can you confirm the colour scheme as being RLM 82/83 over RLM 76? I have a Ta 152 which I haven't built cose I wasn't sure of the scheme. It's the same markings as yours, but the box top painting seems to have RLM 81. The model is by Italeri, but the sprues "look" Dragon to me. There are engine barers, but no engine.
Mal
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 06:00 AM UTC
hi bill! another corker of a kit youve built there! the 190A model looked familiar to me, took me a minute to realise why, it was the subject of an aircraft of the aces series by airfix in 1/72, pips priller's aircraft isnt it? are these kits current issue? after following mals build of a 152, and looking at your stuff in this post i have a strange urge to get one, is there some subliminal advertising in your posts?
nice one mate. phil
Bk27
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 92 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:06 AM UTC
Congratulations, great work Bill
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:34 AM UTC
Thank you Jean-Luc, Mal, Phil, and Rui !

Jean-Luc - the only reason you didn't notice them is that I found them first and fixed them.
I've never produced a "flawless" build. If I ever did, it would be time to find a new hobby since there would be nothing left to learn. I hope to keep crankin' out the flawed builds as long as I can ! I do appreciate the compliment, though.

Mal - color info for the Ta 152H is difficult to find. I don't trust profiles, and the only color representation I could find was Jerry Crandall's (from Eagle Editions - I trust his research) artwork "Stabsschwarm" :

He is the person that repainted the Fw 190D-13 "Yellow 10." If I'm incorrect on my choices, I'm only as "wrong" as he is.
If you click the link in my picture post to my build article, there's a link at the bottom of the page for a walkaround of the Smithsonian's Ta 152H-0 undergoing restoration. This aircraft was formerly "Green 4" and later FE 112. The lower surfaces of the wings are clearly RLM 76.
The Italeri release is the ex-Trimaster/DML/Dragon release. It has no engine, PE, metal, tube or wire. A softer plastic is used, and there may be surface imperfections.

Phil - if there were subliminal messages there, it would say "Send me all your Trimaster kits."
The 190A-8 is indeed "Pip's" aircraft as it appeared over the beaches of Normandy on D-Day. The Dragon issue of this kit can be found, if you look. It has no PE in the box. The Trimaster and DML issues did, and the Trimaster issue uses better plastic and includes white metal parts along with brass tube and wire. Squadron has some Trimaster Fw 190D-9 kits available for about $40 US. The Trimaster/DML/Dragon Ta 152 (with engine) is more difficult to find. I'm fortunate to have a Trimaster issue of this kit in my stash.

Thanks again !
 _GOTOTOP