_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
A couple of new projects
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 08:36 AM UTC
Here are some pics of two of my current projects.

The first is Monogram's 1/48 P-61 Black Widow. I'm using both of Eduard's photoetched detail sets (interior and exterior). These REALLY add a lot of detail. My favorite piece is the gooseneck lamp in the rear of the fuselage.

This will be built as a P-61A, in Olive Drab/Neutral Gray, with the turret. The markings will be from Aeromaster.

The second one is Airfix's 1/48 Mosquito. I'm also using Eduard's photoetched set, Squadron's vac canopy, and Eagle Strike decals for an RAAF bird in SEAC camo colors.
I'm using Squadron's Walkaround book for reference. Surprisingly, there are no pics of the cockpit rear of the pilot ! I've had to guess at some of the colors. I've since learned that the two large boxes by the navigator are black. I'll repaint these if I can. I also added wiring and linkages from wire and solder.

I'm in the process of scratchbuilding detail to the wheel wells. This is a nice kit, with plenty of opportunities for detailing. I've built the Tamiya kit (also with Eduard PE), and I can't justify that one costing 3X as much. I don't care for Tamiya's kits anyway. They have been successfully purged from my collection.

Thanks for letting me share the builds with you !
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 09:21 AM UTC
Bill, looks good so far......
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 01:26 PM UTC
Really nice, I especially like the natural look of the seat belts ...

John
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 07:54 AM UTC
Nice one Bill, I'm part way through re-scribing the Monogram P-61, have been for some time The eduard PE certainly does add some finness, I'll have to get me some.
To clarify the colours on the radio sender and receiver here's a pic of my Tamiya Mosquito interior:

By the way Bill, congratulations, your Ju87G came first in July's MOM
Mal
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 02:31 PM UTC
Thank you Dave, John, and Mal !

John - I try to keep the belts looking as though they've been used, rather than neatly arranged on the seats. I place the belt on my finger, and press a straightened paper clip and backside of a #11 blade from both sides. This is especially useful around buckles and eyelets, and add some dimension to them.

Mal - do you have any pics of the rear of the cockpit you could post? If I can pop off the smaller box, I may be able to do some corrections. It's glued with CA, which doesn't have much shear strength.
I'm not going to go through the bother of rescribing any of my raised panel line kits. The nerve damage in my right hand doesn't allow me to have the stamina needed to do repetative tasks like that. A little creative painting, and I think it will look just fine.
Thanks for the info on the MoM ! I had submitted it so long ago, I almost forgot. I'll post a reply.

Thanks again !
cap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 53 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2005 - 10:04 PM UTC
wow, those cockpits are impressive!
did you worry about putting a gloss coat over the paint before you applied the wash, or did you just put the wash directly on? I think i read the other day that putting a wash on a flat coat is trouble.

cap
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 06:53 AM UTC
Bill.

Quoted Text

do you have any pics of the rear of the cockpit you could post?

Yes, I'll try and scan them over the next couple of days. Bare with me mate I've got a lot going on at the moment.
I know what you mean about re-scribing, it isn't something I particularly like doing but I do it mainly because of my finishing technique. I have developed a method that takes some of the chore out of it, but not the repetativeness.

Cap.

Quoted Text

wow, those cockpits are impressive!
did you worry about putting a gloss coat over the paint before you applied the wash, or did you just put the wash directly on? I think i read the other day that putting a wash on a flat coat is trouble.

You are right, a wash over a matt coat can give you trouble, but it can depend on what mediums you use. I will sometimes test the finish to see how it will react. The safest way would be to give the interior a coat of Klear, add the wash then give it a matt coat. At the moment I'm considering adding the wash colour to Klear and using that as the wash. I let you know what happens, when I try it
Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 07:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

At the moment I'm considering adding the wash colour to Klear and using that as the wash. I let you know what happens, when I try it
Mal

Hi Mal!

I actually sprayed my last model using Klir (the French Klear) mixed with ochre paint! All I can say to you is that Klir and Tamiya acrylics are compatible! It was part of my last weathering experiment!

Jean-Luc
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 11:50 AM UTC
Thanks Andrew and Mal !

Andrew - I've been glosscoating with Future before washes for over 10 years (about 400 1/48 kits in that time). I use enamels for the base coat and the washes. I darken each color with black until I reach a shade that matches the shadows I see on the model under a light. I never use generic colors, since they don't look like shadows to me. A white area in shade will look very different from a green one.

Mal - about the only way I've rescribed lines that look good to me were done with a triangular file. It doesn't lead to raised edges, but it's difficult (and sometimes impossible) in tight spots or aroiund round access plates. I got a Verlinden scribing template to help with those.
I'm still "bangin' away" on the Mossie's wheel wells. I like to paint all my metallics at the same time. Since the tailwheel has to be inserted before the fuselage halves can be closed, it will be a few days before I'm at that point.

Thanks again !
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

(about 400 1/48 kits in that time)

Hi Bill!

That's something I'd love to see! I have only about 10% of that and I'm running low of space on my shelves! Do you still have them all! Do you have pictures of whole your collection? In a few years, I will arrange the attic to display my models, maybe when I reach the 100 magic number!
Sorry if I'm curious, but I would be glad to have some display tips!

Thanks Bill!

Jean-Luc
Nokinja
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 26 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 08:51 PM UTC
How the heck do you get seatbelts to look like that?
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 04, 2005 - 09:22 PM UTC
Man, that looks great!
Same question about the seatbelts!

Paul
 _GOTOTOP