_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
SH-60B
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 07:22 AM UTC
This is the latest helicopter I’m working on, Italeri 1/48th SH-60B. It’s really not a bad kit and with some work it could be a better kit. The interior is simple and empty, decals for gages, front bulk head and a small wall are missing. The pilots seats are missing the frames which I made from Evergreen rod. The lap and shoulder harness are made from tape and painted. Eduard makes a interior and exterior set for this kit and though I wont get the level of detail from the PE, I still like the challenge. More to follow.

The seat on the left was cut and sanded so the new frame can be added.

LemonJello
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 177 posts
AeroScale: 42 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 08:13 AM UTC
Looks like you're off to a good start, and that is some inspiring scratch work as well. Can't wait to see more as it progresses. If this one turns out anything like your -46s, then it's sure to be a beauty.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 08:29 AM UTC
Hi Joe!

That's looking god so far! Do I see a TV screen in one of the consoles? Probably to watch sports during flight

More seriously, I'm looking forward to see all these pieces put together! Helicopters are the perfect subject for super detailed interiors! Once the model finished, you can still see a lot inside!

Good luck for your build!

Jean-Luc
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 09:26 AM UTC
Jean, John thanks, as for seeing the detail on the inside once it's button up.....No not really, but what can you do.
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:04 AM UTC
Looking real good so far. Your forward bulkhead looks well done. Do you plan to add any detail to the right side of the otherwise empty cabin?

In your first picture, there is a scratchbuilt (?) panel above the ceiling; what is that?

By the way Jean-Luc, you really can't see too much of the interior...and with the decal gauges, you don't quite want to. With some work, what you do see is enough to know that there is a decent interior. The most prominent thing that stand out looking in from the cargo door is the well done sonobuoy launcher. Everything else just fills in space as, given the angle you are viewing you don't see much in the way of details.

Can't wait to see your next update and I should have mine within the next day.

Jeff
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
Looks great Joe. Can't wait to see it finished.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:36 AM UTC
Jeff my knowledge of the blackhawk’s lack big time. But the part in question is a wall that’s between the cargo door and front bulk head. On the fuselage in front of that wall is a excess panel, the only thing I can come up with is that it houses some electronics equipment. I’m only going by some shot I’ve found of the net. Maybe Gino or Sabot can shad some light on it. How far have you gotten with yours, do you have the fuselage together!

That piece of brass is a grab handle.
HeavyArty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
AeroScale: 1,728 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe Gino or Sabot can shad some light on it.

If it is the rack on the starboard side between the crew door and the cockpit, it is the radio/electronics shelf. I think that is the area you are talking about.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2005 - 10:55 AM UTC
Yep that would be the area, thanks Gino
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2005 - 02:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How far have you gotten with yours, do you have the fuselage together!

I'll do this from memory as I have the pictures on my computer at home (I'll upload them when I get home this afternoon):

I have glued the fuselage together. My recommendation would be to glue the ceiling to the rear bulkhead, then the entire cockpit/cabin/ceiling assembly to the left side so you can even out any gaps between the cockpit interior and the fuselage (I noticed that the right side of the cockpit has a considerable gap between it and the right fuselage, but it doesn't show in the light. However, don't glue the ceiling to the front of the fuselage roof. By this, I mean let the front of the cabin ceiling free float until you figure out the panel with the upper windows. If you glue the ceiling to the front fuselage then you could risk the upper cockpit window panel not being flush with the rest of the fuselage.

The cabin floor is relatively flush with the cargo door, but the roof needed a very slight (about 1mm) extension to quite fit.

Reverting from doing armor models for the past 8 months, I have forgotten how much gap filler is needed on aircraft. And this is no exception.

Also, all the "bumps" and sensors, while looking great don't quite line up with the alignment pins that you drilled out. So my recommendation is this: Check out all the pin holes the instructions tell you to drill out. Do this BEFORE you glue the fuselage sides together. Make sure the sensor pieces will actually fit in the holes.

I have much more to comment on. More this afternoon (hopefully).

Jeff

Jeff
 _GOTOTOP